Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: What did you do with your Durant today?

Thanks Gord & Gary;
When the guy blasted them he taped them and I taped them too. I will go over them with a fine sandpaper so there will be some grip there. I also have to clean some of the inside where the bearings sit, but of course I will not use sandpaper for that. Can't wait to get them done and move on to the front axle.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

The weather is getting better and I have my engine finished.

photo 100_0041_zps91885331.jpg

Today I placed the engine in the frame and getting ready to align the engine to transmission. I've got to rig up a pressure oil pot to preoil the engine before starting.

photo 100_0048_zpse9195cd0.jpg

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

WOW, Don that is one nice looking motor you have there. Have to say mine is a little rough looking. Will get there eventually. I did get my new carb all on with the airfilter tube i made out of some exhaust pipe i had sittling around and an k&n airfilter. plus i am on day two of flushing and back flushing the engine water system before i get my radiator back from the shop with a new core.

Where Are You From? spokane, washington

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star m touring

Recently I finished the replacement of all the wood in the body structure and all the pieces are fitted. Some wood work will need to be made to the floorboards after the body is fitted to the frame before painting. The sheet metal cutting and welding repairs have been done to where the former "rust through" areas were and are fitted as well. The paint prep process is about half way complete in scraping the original paint on all the metal surfaces. Moving along at a slow but steady pace on the restoration.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? D75

The painted radiator shell is at the chrome plater. Its been stripped of paint and they're putting in long hours to repair the rust and damage that was covered with bondo...gulp. Sandy's Bumpermart in Syracuse is doing the work. they have done several projects for me and I've been very happy with their professionalism and workmanship.
I was missing internal parts to finish the fuel gauge but Jack Connor had a spare that he brought to Reg Bent for me. The parts gauges are at the instrument rebuilder now so they've run out of excuses not to finish it.
The machine shop rebuilding my motor called to say that the pistons were installed but that we need a new timing chain. We found that Egge in California carries them and were able to 2nd day ship. We keep hoping to have it back together for the Corning show in April but its getting close. I might not meet the deadline but I'll bring another car to show, maybe a Hupmobile or a Packard or two.

Where Are You From? ithaca

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 614 deluxe roadster

Kieth thanks for the info on brake material and thank you Mike for asking Kieth that question.I was going to reline my brakes with composite to replace the fabric linings so thanks for saving me time and money.

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

I worked on my wheels yesterday, assembling the last two. Nice and tight and they look good. Article to follow in one of the Partners on the process. Now on to the front axle.

Its been a huge week on the Durant. I picked up the newly rebuilt engine at Precision machine in Cortland NY. It looks stunning, I wish I knew how to post photos-i will try. The expected struggles to insert tab A into slot B took about half a day. Second day worked on getting the tranny and peripherals installed. The radiator shell is still at the chrome plater so we have to temporarily support the radiator to try and start it. Lots of trying to start with no luck. checking the normal things-we have spark,gas ,timing, we tried again to choke it by covering the carb intake with my hand ,it was blown free by pressure coming out the carb...what! checked the compression and found max of 30 lbs and it wouldn't hold. something is really wrong. Called the machine shop and he immediately said that it sounds like cam phasing problem and he would be there in the morning. By noon he surmised that in fitting the timing gears multiple times he inadvertantly installed the cam out of phase then based the distributor setting on those assumptions. A couple of calls to Reg Bent and resetting later the motor was purring.
I open the box of gauges restored in Iowa and found that not only were they the wrong color but the paint was already falling off. I shipped them back and hope that it won't be another year plus to get them back. Credit will be given where due at the end of this project.
We are having a problem with the carb. It is a Stromberg U2 and made of pot metal the cover for the float chamber is falling to pieces. We have covered it with gas tank repair epoxy to try and seal it at least to get to the meet in Corning in two weeks. Please let me know if you have one that you would part with. 607 592 1911
By the time I headed home the chrome plater called and said that the rad shell was ready earlier than expected after weeks of rust removal and damage repair. Perfect timing,I will pick it up in Syracuse tommorrow and install it then.

Where Are You From? ithaca

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 614 deluxe roadster

Ken
Wow looks like your plan is coming together nicely. Even if she's not running, bring her to Corning so we can see her and you can meet your fellow Durantonians. Don't forget to bring the pictures of her restoration too. Give Frank W. a call. He probably can help you with info on a replacement carburetor. Not sure if he has any left, but he sure can tell you the model number and where to get it.

Where Are You From? Florida

Kenneth, I'm curious. doesn't your radiator directly fasten to the frame using (2) welded bolts that are secured to the radiator then the radiator simply attaches to the radiator with lock washers/nuts and the (2) hoses are additional support?

Where Are You From? Kokomo,Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Speedster

After what seamed like months of sanding I finaly got some color on this little coupe...The color is Malaga Red and was used on early Porsches, it's a single stage urethane, color sanded and buffed, I have just hung it back togather and will haul it back to WA probably this weekend to finish. Still have a ways to go but it's more interesting at this stage....Think it will be a little cuttie when I get the top, landaus and all the bright work on...

photo 3db91665-81eb-457e-9ca3-9a16bc389442_zps9376ef1d.jpg

photo 1f1ae1a7-4c31-4029-aa71-e76f6005a48d_zps1a674949.jpg

This is my Arizona open air paint booth, and yes we have bugs, wind, dust, and an occasional moth that will do the lowcrawl across your fresh paint...

photo fe311382-9ad4-43db-a18c-d573f59e5d4c_zps7c16ca64.jpg

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Your right Bill, it's going to be a real sharp looking car. Hey you still got a Durant connection with the Porche red. Durant did have a plant in Germany at one time!

You are correct Mike, I also may have another Durant connection in regards to the upholstery, I have a Pfaff sewing machine which was built in Germany and were most likely used at that German plant...

Here I'm pleating the seat for the Durant coupe, that's the easy part, sewing the boxings on the ends is the difficult part...Check out my pulley and counter weight system to help tug the moehair through the machine, moehair is difficult to work with.

photo af385050-402d-46e1-87e4-c65b2ce8ff6f_zps0db6d209.jpg

I bought this moehair on ebay (buy it now) very reasonably and they sent samples prior to purchasing... Autumn Wheet for the pannels and Autumn Brown for the seat, the camera flash has distorted the colors...

photo 3c077ea6-ffec-4f9f-9e99-b2a03ba10586_zpsc88dc219.jpg

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

For some reason my pics will no lomger post!?

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant

Here you go.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of Them

Hi Keith;
Is that a Torrid Heat heater? I seem to remember seeing an add for them being used on a Durant. This model as well as another.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

What I did with my Durant, well yesterday.

Thanks to Gary K, I now have the correct Tillotson Carberator for my car. When I purchased it back in 2007 it came with a Zenith on it. I've been looking for the correct one for some time and Gary K had one. The 1928 Model 65 15L engine used the Tillotson SP 13A and SP13B model carb on it as well as I believe the 1929 Model 66 did. A rare carb for sure as I believe it was only used on these two models. I was unable to locate one but now I have one, It has a some cracks and and a piece broken off the air intake side, but should be repairable. No visible cracks on the gas side though. I'll post some pictures in a day or two. Thanks Gary

Membership to DMAC

Not a lot at the moment, putting odds and pieces together as my restoration continues.High light of the week was receiving my membership of the DMAC in the Mail from Bob Smith, Thanks Bob.

Where Are You From? Armidale NSW Australia

I finally got all the parts for this Torrid Heat heater. I even have an original ad for it. now all I have to do is get motivated enough to remove my exhaust,system to install this thing.

And why won't my pics from photo bucket show up anymore?

Thx in advance Rick!

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Where Are You From? Kent

Some other stuff I don't know where it goes,,,,

photo 100_0329.jpg

photo 100_0330.jpg

photo 100_0333.jpg

photo 100_0326.jpg

Where Are You From? Kent

Keith;
You probably know this but the plates with Durant on it are the step plates that go on the running boards positions so when you open your doors and step up to get in your car, you step on the plates instead of wearing down the rubber on the running board. So most people install them not squared in front of the door on the running board but in the position just where your foot would go first before stepping in. The other parts I don't recognize so they must be specific to your model and 30's Durants. I've taken my 1928 down to the frame and don't recognize the other parts, of course except the fan blades. I'm sure others will be able to help you.

I've seen that bracket in some of my stash. I'm not sure what it is either. The second pic is of the oil shields for the driveshaft universal joint. However, the smaller part is severely worn out and is useless for further use. It looks nice painted up though.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

I dont know what the first one is but the second is the cover over the top of the gear shift lever at the floorboards The larger one screws into the floor boards to hold it in place Not sure bout the other but it is also for the same area. Step plates are easy . fit on the running boards where you will step to get into the car and of course the fan blades and pulley are all to be fastened together

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Keith-Inner taillamp support bracket, Spicer joint bell and retaining ring( held against the bell by a square section spring. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Very good fella’s thx for your input!

Now can someone tell me how to a-fix a 30-31 Ford Model A WHEEL AND BRAKE DRUM To a Durant backing plate and spindle?

Pictured ; the crazy little water pump driven off the generator with a rubber hose coupler

And the Torrid Heat Heater finally with the 3” flex tube that was missing.
It tuned out that my brother had it stashed away in his garage all this time .
It was driving me nuts not to have the unit complete. This is the actual piece for this set.

So this unit is completely original with all its parts and fasteners just like it shows in the advertisement.

Happy sunny day in the N.W. today,,,,

photo Cblenroddetail.jpg

photo LRbrkassbly.jpg

photo 100_5927_zps70567ef2.jpg

photo 100_5935_zpsa9d55d9e.jpg

Where Are You From? Kent

A big thanks to Bob Smith for sending out the Durant badge I ordered so quickly ,,I got it in the mail today and mounted it. Looks good!

Gave the old girl a cleaning on her undercarriage this eve. Tighten some loose nuts ,,gettin' ready for some summer touring!

photo Durantbadge_zps3afd92bb.jpg

Where Are You From? Kent

I got the radiator in and made a temp waterneck put some gas and water in her and did something that hasnt been done with it in over 20 years. Took it for a drive around the neighborhood. Was a great ride. Hard to beleive that when my stepdad was a kid they took this from montana to texas for the summers.

Where Are You From? spokane washington

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star model m touring

More fun stuff to share

Where Are You From? Kent

`triangle may be back of taillite bracket with ridge for wire to go through

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes...1929 DURANT 60 AND 1924 STAR TOURING

More about the Torrid-Hete heater. Here is an ad for the unit advertised specially for Durant. Apparently they used an odd spelling for it.
Although I have seen other ads showing the unit as an add on for other makes
under a different name.

I don't really need a heater though,,,I wonder if I could turn it into a sort of air conditioner?

torridheat-ad photo torrdhete-ad.jpg

photo 100_0323-2-1-1.jpg

Hi Keith;
You got a real rarity there and I'd install it and just not use it if possible. I'm sure many did not survive as I don't think I've ever seen one on one of our cars. I've got the same advertisement I believe. My car had a heater at one time, not the air fed Torrid but I believe one under the dash, but it was long gone. If I could find one I'd re-install it, but if not I'm just going to fill the holes.

I have enough leftover Durant parts to build another car...
So I doodled up this close coupled two door Phantom Pheaton
just an idea,,,

photo 614phantom.jpg

Hi all:
I did a complete rebuild on the Star clutch and pressure plate last week. After dissassembly :
1). I set the flywheel up in a lathe and re-faced the clutch disc area.
2). Ground the pressure plate surface on a big wet grinder.
3). Sent the disc to Cleveland Oak Company (Canton Ohio) for new lining

Blasting, painting and re-assembly. Should be like new. Jim G.

photo 100_6328600x452.jpg

photo 100_6337600x452.jpg

photo 100_6346600x452.jpg

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

That's going to be one clean roadster when you get through. However, you need to road-test it for a couple of years to make sure everything holds together properly before you give it back to Frank,,,,,

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 27 Star, 29 Durant

I made a little headway with my '29 Durant Truck this week. I found the perfect spot to mount the stop light switch, made new brackets for the repro Model A dual taillights/stoplights, and then removed the instrument cluster and light switch still attached to the wiring harness. I removed the harness thru the hole in the firewall so I could keep everything hooked up until I have it tagged. I'll lay it all out on a long board and build a new harness to exactly the same dimensions as original.
Later, I was sanding the forward woodwork on the top and noticed considerable rot in the front sunshade crossboard. I decided to shorten the front roof by 3 inches to get into sound wood and make a new cross piece. That worked out nicely and I'll finish it tomorrow, varnish, and take some pics.
I have a new front exhaust pipe fabricated and found a suitable round muffler. I'll get this hooked up and see what I can do for a tail pipe.
I smell fried porkchops cookin down to the house. I'm outta here,,,,,,,,,,

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 27 Star, 29 Durant

don...you could have taken the one lying next to my carport from the model 70.
also..do you have an extra spare tire mount for the star?

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

Well I've been busy this week working on rebuilding my Tillotson SP13B carburetor for my car. This was a hard carb to find as it was only used on the Model 65 and the 1929 Model 66 I believe. Searched hi and low and found one in Gary's garage last September. Was in pretty good shape but needed some repair on the intake tube side since these were made of the nasty pot metal most are cracked and broken when you find them. Luck was on my side and I found a guy on Ebay that was advertising gasket sets for some of our carbs and I emailed him to see if he could make one up for the Sp13B and he could. I got the set in and it is a perfect set, looks like factory. Then luck struck again and I found another Sp13B on Ebay for parts. Purchased it for $14, not bad at all. Now I've dismantled it completely, fixed the broken parts and I am going to apply a good coat of epoxy paint hopefully to stop or slow down the metal deterioration. I'll post pictures when I get it done. I also removed my front axle from the frame on Saturday and will start the dismantling process of that and on to the blasters.

Mike.... Keep up the good work! Sounds like a lot of hard work to try to keep everything absolutely original such as the carb! Tough deal trying to keep paint on a surface that will get gas covered.

Don.... good progress! How about letting me know the which muffler your going to use as I'm about ready to Take the Star chassis to the shop and get an aluminized system made up.

Also Don .... What did you mean "Give the Star back" ??? (Ha Ha)
Jim G

Where Are You From? Ohio

Hey Jim
I found an two part epoxy paint that is gasoline and nitro methane resistant. The test of time will tell but it is a hard finish. My hope is that by coating it in the epoxy finish it will either stop or slow down the pot metal deterioration. How about the company that advertises Durant Muffler systems Waldrens? Anybody called them lately. I know that they had the patterns for Durant/Star exhausts but someone said they were having a problem finding it awhile back. Anybody call them to see if they came up with it or can do it?

Just having too much fun these hot summer days, cars not ready yet!
Speaking of paints and coatings, I have been working with some new water based automotive paints, clears, tints, wood graining glazes and vinyl
upoulstry coatings. They are very easy to use and have no odor. Thin and clean up completely with water. Very durable coatings.

A great alternative Eco minded product for the hobbyist, indi-crafter.

I'll have some vids on this subject at some point.
Kn

d-3 photo D-32_zpsa788e8af.jpg

d-2 photo D-2_zps538ffb69.jpg

d-1 photo D-1_zps0f694e51.jpg

Finally finished my carberatur for my Durant. The model 65 used the Tillotson SP13A or SP13B model. I completly took it apart, cleaned and polished all the parts, made the necessary repairs and painted it. Here is the results:

BEFORE

Tillotson Sp13B-1 photo IMG_0285.jpg Tillotson SP13B-2 photo IMG_0284.jpg

AFTER

Restored Tillotson Sp13B-1 photo IMG_0368.jpg Restored Tillotson SP13B-2 photo IMG_0369.jpg

Now on to my front axle!

WOW.....
What a talented group of people this club has that are currently working on their cars!
Just take a minute and glance back through this thread and you"ll see what I mean. Our members are not just getting things done on their cars, they are doing a large variety of "hard to do" repairs.
There's people building carbs, experimenting with water base paint, building they're own wiring harness's, sewing their own upholstry and rebuilding obsolete heater systems just to name a few.
So, what makes this even more impressive.... none of these things can be purchased at a reproduction dealer!!
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

got model 60 changed over to 6volt electric fuel pump ..ran lines, regulator on tomorrow....a few wires and we should be a go....

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

I have been spending the last few weeks getting tail lights, fixing headlights, fixing grounding issues, rebuilding the ignition switch, had the starter rebuilt, investigated trunk latches and repair of them, Looked into getting pipe benders to make a support structure for the tail lights (too expensive unfortunately, at least for now) cursed a little over the still glaring lack of a radiator and the lack of funds to acquire one :). Purchased an Ahooga horn. Began a rebuild of that.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Gerald
I sent you a private email yesterday. I have an M-2 radiator here that holds water. Needs cleaning and restoration. Not sure how much it would cost to ship it to Canada, but check the email. I can send you pictures if you want them.

Well finally I got the old girl goin' again! Missed out on the Hydro races though,,,, fastest start up after being dry for so long I was really suprised! Do any of you out there rebuild fan assemblys? Mine leaks. Even though I Thought I got it right! Any ideas?

Durant got out of the garage today,,First time after I blew a head gasket in five years! A bad thermastat was the culprit for that little mishap. Time went by while I was busy with my day job, gigs, recordings, art shows, social gatherings and oh yeah that Packard with the bad attitude! The Durant just went forgotten. It runs like a champ. Truthfully the Durant has been a very reliable vintage auto with a minimum cost to repair and operate.

by contrast evry thing on the Packard is complicated and expensive.

Jeannes gives The ol' Gurl an UP-DO

Took grandson for a ride to the local yogurt store.

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes three of them

Hi Mike, I tried to email your email address, but it bounced on me. I'm not sure why.
You can directly contact me via gfeather@gmail.com and it will give me your proper email.

Gerald.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

I have basically finished re-assembling the Chassis and motor for Cathy's Star last month, though I haven't tried to start it yet.

The plan was to get the chassis running, moving and everything adjusted before remounting the body...but those plans changed after I realized it would just be easier to mount the body and put everything together correctly than trying to improvise.

photo 100_6397600x452.jpg

photo 100_6407600x452.jpg

Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

1 2 3

The Durant Motors Automobile Club