Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake cross shaft and rods

Has anyone got a good picture of all the rods connected to the cross shaft? I am having a problem and so far havent had a lot of luck figuring it out. When I put the emergency brake on -the tail lights are on as well- I know there is something simple I am doing wrong but seems like I have a brain blockage and cant quite see where I am going wrong. A picture would be a god send right now . The emergency brake has a slotted rod so when the foot brake is applied it doent engage the e brake Is there a slotted rod for the foot brake too?

Thanks guys
ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant Model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Brake cross shaft and rods

Ken:
Your brake switch is set up so that power is going to it all the time. If you connect the switch so that the power is only to the switch when the key is on, then the e-brake will only turn on the brake lights when the switch is in the on position.
That is how the Frontenac is set up and it will be the same as your 614.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Gord--
I dont know anything about wiring so I guess I am out of luck on that. I couldnt hook up anything electric and expect it to work. I had a freind make up my wiring harness and he labelled everything so I managed to put it in but thats the extent of my wiring knowledge. I will have to find someone that has a bit of know how to do it

Thanks Gord

Ken

I do not know how the 614 brake light switch is mounted however I will tell you how my Rugby D40 is operated. The switch is mounted on the inside of the chassis and connected to the brake pedal with a spring. Operating the brake pedal pulls the switch on. When the handbrake is operated it moves the cross shaft and all the brake rods but does not move the brake pedal assembly hence no operation of the stop light switch. Power is permanently connected to the switch. I trust this makes sence.

Keith

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby D40

Kieth

My car is diferent. The brake light comes on when I step on the brake Switch is mounted to the frame so it is shut off when the brake pedal is up-When you push it down it releases the pin and turns the light on --when you pull the e brake it also pulls the foot brake down so the light comes on --
I have to figure out how to reroute the wiring to bypass this . So far it is a problem but eventually I will solve it -as I did everything else.
Ken

Ken- The brake light switch is mounted to a bracket that is attached to the left hand side of the bell housing. This bracket also has a stop for the clutch pedal adjustment screw. The switch itself can be adapted from a Model 'A' part that is easily available from any of the suppliers. The brake rods are connected to the brake cross shaft by adjustable clevis. The front rods are connected to the outside boss of the cross shaft and the rear brakes are connected to the inside bosses. The 'steeldraulic' brakes are finicky to set up and adjust, but when set up right they should provide good braking. Check the technical page for set-up. Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross
I know how finicky the brakes are to set up--been working on mine for a few months now =--off and on that is-- I am reading all the info and going one stepn at a time so hopefully this time it will work Now if I can get my brake lights to stay off when my e brake is on I will be okay,
Ken

Ken The brake light has to be on if the e-brake is on with the key switched on, because pulling the e-brake on will also depress the pedal as if you had your foot on it. But with the key in the off position of course, you should not have any brake light on. Do you still need a picture of the brake connections? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

On our 1929 D63 the brake light is only activated by the foot pedal, the emergency brake has no effect on the foot pedal and the foot pedal has no effect on the Emergency brake even though both use the same cross shaft. The brake light works with the ignition off or on. There are 2 over-running links on the cross shaft that prevent pedal or lever movement when one or the other is moved. Is the 614 model different?
Thank You

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 D63

Dave
Could you maybe take a picture of the set up for me? I would sure like to see how it is all hooked up - Maybe some sort of sliding rod on the foot brake like the e brake has? I have been trying to figure some way of doing it but so far havent come up with a good solution
Ken

Ken I can't attach pictures to the site, I sent you an Email, I'll try get pictures tomorrow

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63

Ken:
The power to the brake light switch has to come from the side of the switch that is dead when the key is turned off.
Yours must be attached to the live side of the switch and is always live, with the key on or off.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club