Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant 1931 Hood ornament

My father acquired a '1932' Durant, 4 door, 4 cyl sedan in the early 30's. All accounts indicate it was actually a 1930-31 model 610 introduced in 1930. His description matches the model 610 with a 112 inch wheelbase, 50 horsepower four-cylinder, A.C. oil filter, and "Pullman attachment".

All he has left of the old gal was a pristent shiny naked lady hood ornament. It's been packed away for 80 years on the top shelf of the old shop. The shop has to go and she just wouldn't look right on the front of my little Ford ranger.

After reviewing several sites I decided to introduce this item here because of the keen interest and respect for the old cars. The finish is immaculate, and I can provide picture from any angle available upon request.

What I need to know is what's she worth?

Ken

Where Are You From? Halifa, Nova Scotia, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Durant 1931 Hood ornament

Interesting .. car must have come from Lansing plant if with Pullman features.
If Canadian it would be a 407 no Pullman feature.

1930 - 31 US and 1930 - 32 Canadian Durant / Rugby's came with a flat rad cap with three spears (V's) on top. I finally got one for my 32 this summer. Frontenac's had two caps the second a Swallow. As accessory item this Swallow could be purchased to mount on reg Durant / Fronty rad caps.

This lady you have must be an after market item to use on any car or off a car that came equipped with a lady. Its not Durant. Sounds very much like the one I put on my 31 Chevy truck in the 60's and still found in fleamarkets. I still have that one 50 yrs later and another tossed on a shelf.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Kenneth,
While I do agree with brother Norm in the most part on this Hood ornament I have a possible different thought.

Many Flying Lady and/or "Winged" Hood ornaments were used by several high end brands. Amoung these are the following cars from the 20's and 30's : Cadillac, Packard and most famous Rolls Royce!

The older fellow in question may have "Pulled" one from a junyard car.or someone else did..who knows from what car. This is certainly worth checking into to be sure!! This could be one of the rare ones! Norm maybe you should also check yours, hee,hee. Stranger things have happened.

PLEASE post a picture (with base and clear Casting info Initials/Numbers too) for our help in IDing it for you. Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Hum Bro Lance .. you forgot the Diana car by Moon Motors, lady as well. I have seen my ladies at flea markets for around $75 and they are sure not any rare item, and over priced. Its like the devil one I have with thumb on nose ha ha. Or the Griffin / Welsh dragon one I would like to find a cheap cap to drill and put on Dorothy. Sure not drilling the orig cap it took me 50 yrs to find.

Probably five and dime items in the 20 / 30's. Seems to me Chevy also had a lady early 30's that's on Ebay quite often.

Yes it could be a rare item. Museum out west in the Prairies was telling me of looking for a rare cap to replace the broken one they had. Lad was visiting Calif and went into a clothing shop to get a tie. There on a shelf was the rare cap as display item. Didn't take long or very much money to obtain the cap, which is now on the car. You just never know where things are hiding.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Norm,
Yes you are quite correct in your thoughts brother. I got a Teens/20's Stutz winged Helmet rad cap along with all the Loco's stuff from a few years back(possible worth maybe $$$) ...But alas it was broken and not complete, with one wing end missing,etc. So sad, there went my retirement nest egg, Ha,Ha! But as you say it's a GOOD shelf decoration!

Take care my friend, good hearing from you!
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Thanks Lance and others

I was having doubts about it being original after finding out Durant went out of business in Jan of 1932. That may be why my father acquired two Durants in 1932. Nobody wanted cars from a defunct manufacturer even back then. A little backgroud is my grandfather ran the local community store and the family sold everything from stick pins to cars.

Dad had two identical Durants and both had the lady on front. That does not exclude the wholesaler decorating then up with after market ornaments to get rid of them. Only one made it to resale, but we won't go into that.

I've since located at least two versions of this lady. The newer ones have only one bolt hole and mine has two holes. That also makes me believe it was after market as the one hole version was still being sold in the 40's.

Thanks all for your help.

Where Are You From? Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

The Durant Motors Automobile Club