Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
another odd ball ?

Ebay 330796488118 Right hand drive 1930 614 but with side vents on cowl. Odd bumpers too.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Re: another odd ball ?

Hi Norm: That car is a rare one and I hope some Durant follower will get it. The body is by JJ Richards of Adaliade. The running gear produced in Canada for export. It is unknown how/when it was inported to States. Never will we see another one here!
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks Gary .. I hadn't seen any body in the 30's models with side vents. Its sure not in my 1930 614 sales booklet. Mind you nor are coach's or blind backs.

I had wondered if it might be Australian with the right hand drive as they have a few odd balls down there from export.

Yes someone must have moved to USA and had the car brought there also.

Hi Norm:
I have been investigating the coach builders in Australia becuse I know the DeVaux chassis was exported(with right hand drive) to the "Far East"...And? Howard showed me a picture of crated DeVaux's (to low to have a body on them), loaded onto a ship in the Oakland area.

This Durant is out of the Canadian factory and fitted with right hand also. I have talked to the owner in Louisinia and he cannot trace back how it got here. It is a rare one and I am worried that if it does not go to a Durant person it will be "rodded" I will talk with him again probably Friday. He does have to get tht price for it as he has that much into it. He has other "Rods' so he is tempted.

Most cars going to Austrailia came in without a body. This gave the local builders a industry. I have looked at a web-site: www.prewarcar.com and often they have Austrailian bodied cars for sale. J.J. Richards was one and "Holden" was another. Take a look at Sid Semple's cars and you see that they both are bodied in Austrailia.
Gary

One side note is that Holden was/is so big with General Motors that they bought out Holden some years back.

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Gary

I recalled Sid's 1930 614 leaning against a tree, from a few years back. Didn't really take too much of a look at it then and pic's were different before he started restoring it. Yes doors are wood framed not Budd we have. Lots of wood everywhere. Even the hub caps 8 sided per his info, of the 29. Again his has a top vent on the cowl like some 29's. That was some project.

Lets hope someone, like Bob did, gets this car to prevent it from being destroyed forever. Bob's 633 was slated to become a rod, before he got it.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club