Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Devaux Hubcaps

There is a set of Devaux hubcaps on ebay item number 290776341726 .

Re: Devaux Hubcaps

man i have a box full ive collected over the years for my 2 devauxs,guess im setting on a gold mine,think ill keep them, its funny im setting here thinking i didnt spend much more when i bought the 2 cars, sorry just venting,with prices like these i guess the average guy wont be able to do the cars much longer,seems like a hobby once is now a big business,its to bad im sure some one could use them

Where Are You From? SOUTHERN CALIF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DEVAUX

Dave .. vent away .... its like the lad selling 1930 614 parts. $200 for the hand crank 220974678414 you can find anywhere or the 5 bolt wire wheels missing the lock rings for $2000 220974675806. Same with rest of his parts on ebay for months now. And 1930 - 32 Durant's more plentiful than DeVaux is.

Sellers see antique car parts and get $$ in their eyes its worth big bucks. Only if the buyer is willing to pay their price or wait and get it at a fleamarket or find it by accident where you wouldn't expect to find it, for a resonable price. There's only a few of us who have orphan cars that might use that part. We don't pay their price, they have boat anchors they can't get rid of. In our case we have a good club where members try to help one another find the parts, have the parts, or come up with solutions (even if its using Ford parts eh Frank ? ha ha).

Good example is the Dominion Motors light lens 11471 Depress Beam used on a pile of other makes and our Frontenac / Durant's. Ebay $100 and up. Fellow up Thunder Bay had two for $200 each. Fleamarket lad at Odessa Ont asked me $20 for a mint lense and said was that too much ? Nope just fine.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

i guess i just havent kept up with the times,it used to be people helped each other,today you give somebody something they need and tomorrow they gave you something,seems like your right everbody sees dollar signs for there stuff,i believe ill stay the way i am never been a good business man,the devaux parts are very scarce but that doesnt make them valuable just scarce,like you say alot of durant anddevaux parts fit other vehicles,my 32 devaux had lights atop of the fenders that somebody removed have been looking for a set but really dont know what brand they where,the headlights where stabilite but have never seen a set of fender lights that where stabilite,any gbody know what devaux used

What are they worth? If you think the hubcaps on ebay are overpriced what is a reasonable price for a set of 4 hubcaps. I would be interested to know what Devaux owners think? These would be parts that are specific to that car since it has it's name on it. Just curious. Thanks for your input.

there worth what ever the marker will bear,i personally think 75.00 each or 300.oo a set is overpriced but i believe 75.00 is what there bringing,the last pair to sell on ebay i believe went for around 150.00 for the pair,i guess your the seller testing the water,good luck i hope some one who needs them can afford them again good luck

Re: DeVaux Hubcaps

Always hard to establish prices for vintage car parts. On the one hand you have the seller who has some rare parts. Then you have a buyer who literally may be the only person on the planet who needs them for such a rare vehicle. Then you have the potential worth of the entire car. I'm sure Ralph Lauren would be able to spend big money on hubcaps for his Bugatti, but we have low to medium priced obscure cars. New top of the line hubcaps for Model A Fords are $27.00 and I'm sure DeVaux hubcaps could be reproduced( but they would probably be $4-500.00 each, unless you need 10,000, then they are $27.00 each).What I have always resented as a buyer is someone who found a rare part and paid next to nothing for it, then turns around and increases the price by 1000%. There was an Amphicar at our local swap meet that was sold three times over the course of a weekend, for many times more than the original asking price and all it did was move booth to booth. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

There was a seller in South Central Oklahoma, last year, had a '26 Star rolling chassis, carefully stored over the years under an Oak tree.
His starting bid was $100,000. I talked to him over the phone and he said he knew what that old iron was worth. He watched the Barrett auctions on TV and a Star was more rare that the cars they sold at auction.
Never did figure out what voltage that guy was running on,,,,,,,,

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

probably running on 90 proof or better dave

Dave .... seems we are old school and similar. That's the way we did it in the 60 / 70's. I have a part you need, then here you are. Maybe you or someone might have a part I need in the future.

It was great back then with our local club, until a few people went to Hershey and came back with $$ in their eyes, and suddenly their parts were now worth big dollars. Spoiled it as a fun club and parts weren't just given away or traded by them. One reason I never wanted to go to Hershey back then.

Something else sours it. Club president back then knew I had a pair of mint brass Chevy caps and claimed someone needed the caps to finish a restoration and couldn't find the caps. Took me a long time to finally say, if the lad really needs the caps then I will agree to part with them for free. Oh yes he really did, he said. Next time I saw the caps the president had mounted them on a trophy board and had them on his fireplace mantel. Now I deal directly with the car owner and still old school, and I might have a part, then here you are. Its a hobby not a money making thing.

Have no idea what fender lights yours should have. Someone must have a DeVaux parts book to give you some idea. I know DeVaux is not mentioned in the after market parts catalogues for Durant US or Can. Always puzzled me why Durant's used Glolite headlights for 1930 / 31 Durant Motors cars but Depress Beam lenses in the fender lights. Completely different design Glolite to Depress Beam. Dominion Motors used Depress Beam both head and fender lights.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

HELLO NORM,
I STILL LIKE TO BELIEVE THAT THE ACTUAL CLUB GUYS STILL THINK ABOUT HELPING FIRST AND GETTING PAYED SECOND,A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE IS A DEALER AND WHEN HE GETS SOMETHING I NEED I EXPECT TO PAY FIR IT AND DEARLY USUALLY,BUT THERES ALSO THE GUYS THAT HELP EACH OTHER AND HOPEFULLY WHEN IM LONG GONE SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER ME FOR HELPING THEM,THERES A GUY IN THE CLUB WHO HAS DEVAUX PARTS AND WHEN I NEED SOMETHING OR HAVE A QUESTION HE ALWAYS TAKES THE TIME FOR ME AND GIVE ME A DESCENT PRICE,THEN THERES THE GUY WHO CANT TAKE THE TIME TO TALK TO YOU SAYS ILL CALL YOU BACK,HOPEFULLY THE DURANT AND DEVAUX GUYS WILL STAY THE SAME AND THE CLUB WILL GROW WITH GREAT PEOPLE LIKE IT HAS NOW, DAVE

The Durant Motors Automobile Club