Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear End Gears

Hi All, I am looking for a different gear ratio for my Model 60 rear end. It came standard with a 4:44 ratio (9 tooth pinion, 40 tooth ring gear). Per Lance's posting on 9/2/12, Durant/Warner also offered a 3:90 & 3:73 rear end. I am looking for a 3:90 ratio, which I think is a 10 tooth pinion and a 39 tooth ring gear. If you have an extra one sitting around or know where a set is available, please let me know. Thanks, Phil 503-244-1608

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: Rear End Gears

PHIL,
I PLAYED WITH MY REAR TODAY....REALLY....THE PINION TURNED 2 1/3 TIMES TO THE WHEELS 1 TURN....THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A 2.33 : 1
RATIO AND THAT CANNOT BE ACCURRATE ....THERE IS A LITTLE SLOP BUT NO CAR RUNS A 2.34.......GARY....610-256-3255

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3....2 1929 durant model 60's and a 1925 star F roadster

Gary,

As I recall the final drive gears on a differential are the sun and planet gears (bevel) gears, they allow for the differential action between axles/wheels...The planet gears are attached to the ring gear carrier and have half as many teeth as the sun gears which are mounted on the drive axles....Soooo, to get an accurate ratio by marking the axles and pinion and then counting the turns, you would need to lock one axle/wheel from turning then turn the pinion until the unlocked wheel turns 2 revelutions then devide the pinion count in half for your ratio....Did I say that right?

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / model 40 Coupe / 25 Flint

Correction...If you lift one wheel and turn pinion until lifted wheel makes two revelutions this will give you your correct ratio....If you were to lift both wheels you would turn pinion until the wheels make one revolution, problem is that both wheels will not always turn together or will differentuate and give an inaccurate ratio...Thanks for putting me streight with an email Dave Toni.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / model 40 Coupe / 25 Flint

hello bill, you are correct...i forgot to double the turning and did not lock down the other wheel...so, 2 1/3 x 2 = 4 2/3 or 4.44 : 1....allowing for the slop in the unit...thanx..gary

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3....2 1929 durant model 60's and a 1925 star F roadster

So Gary you have a normal rear end. I mean the car Devil made me say it after your other posting about playing with your ........ Have to be careful choosng words and the way you say it.

Nefu Normie

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

yes normie, i have no hemorroids...i am a perfect a__ __ hole....lol

The Durant Motors Automobile Club