Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bleaching wood spokes, what have you used?

Well I've been busy lately on the car. I've taken all the spokes off the fellow, bead blasted my hubs, and have stripped the old paint off the spokes. It had the original green paint under a black paint. The black paint was from a previous partial restoration. When I stripped the paint off the black paint seemed to run a bit more and stain the wood. Using clean stripper and a parts brush, it seemed to get it a bit lighter, but not enough. Has anyone ever used a wood bleach to lighten these up? I plan on restaining them and using a marine varnish on them. I like the natural look. What have you used?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Bleaching wood spokes, what have you used?

Hi, I have read that normal household bleach is able to be used. Your thread sparks an interest for me as I am thinking of also spripping my painted spokes to go back to the wood look. Can I ask, how easy is it to remove the spokes? I am sure other would be interested as well.
Thanks
Kevin

Where Are You From? Portland, Vic, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Tourer

Hi Kevin;
I will post pictures later on what I did, probably after coming back from Travers City, but I did not find it that difficult to take them apart. The first thing I did of course was to remove the Tire and rim. Then I removed the hub bolts from the center hub. These were peened or hammered on so it took some muscle to take the nuts off the back side of the hub. I don't think there is anyway to save them as they all came off with damaged threads. Luckily as you saw from an earlier thread the Model T hub bolt and nuts fit my wheel so I'll order new ones from someone. After checking with the AACA forum from some that have refinished wheels before they all advise against using common carriage bolts as they are not strong enough for a wheel. I then supported the fellow and from the back side I hammered with a small sledge hammer the hub until it moved free and came out. Be careful and use a block of wood so that you do not damage the rear of the hub. O also made sure that I had something soft for the hub to fall on so I would not damage the front of the hub or any threads that the hub cap goes onto. I then had the nothing but the spokes inside the fellow and looked to find one that had moved or any space between it and the adjoining spoke. I then used a block of wood and hit the spoke down and towards the center of where the hub was. This moved the spoke further down until it was freed from the fellow. All my spokes are in great shape, so I will not have to have any remade. As stated earlier my problem now is that I used a stripper to remove the old paint and the Hickory wood is stained. I've tried regular bleach, but this is not doing anything so my next step is to continue to rewash the spoke with stripper to see if I can get rid of any more paint/stain remnants and then I went and got some oxalic acid and will try that next then I'm going to apply a good oil based stain and a good marine varnish. After researching the internet as well as the AACA forum, others have suggested this oxalic acid might work. I'll give it a try. Strange but I originally thought the brake drum that is attached to the wheel was painted black at the factory, but after stripping it, found that the hub, fellow and the front of the brake drum are all painted body color or at least on my car it was painted Riviera Green. The back of the brake drum towards the axle was painted black to match the cars axle and frame etc.

I've used oxalic acid on decking and it worked fine. Hickory is hard and may not take a stain very well. If so, use a wood dye as opposed to stain. This is usually available from a hardwood dealer.

Before using either, I'd try the varnish on a part that will be hidden. It may darken the wood to the color you want. Varathane usually does this.

Where Are You From? North of the Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Hi folks:
When we took the 22 Durant wheels apart to replace the steel felloe, we numbered the spokes, starting with the tube stem hole, so that everything would line up as per original. I have seen jobs where this was not done, and the repair was not satisfactory.
Just a precaution.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hey Gord
Yep did that. Stapled a number tag to each spoke starting from the left side of the valve stem hole and also numbered the matching fellow and spoke. There was some consensus on the AACA forum that this was not really necessary but I did it anyway. Also I will not sand the parts of the spoke that fit together around the hub, or the part that goes into the fellow. Don't want any loose spokes or a wobbly wheel later. Went to Home Depot and Loews and found not Oxalic acid, but another person suggested "Bar Keepers Friend". Found that at Loews in the cleaning supply area. It comes in a can similar to comet or Ajax cleanser and is 100% Oxalic acid. Earlier this week made a paste of it, adding a bit of water and rubbed it on the spoke. It appeared that it lightened it some. Will have to try it again some more times and I'm also just going to try sanding to get it the way I want. I'm just not satisfied yet with the bare wood. Its got to be right before I put the stain and varnish on there.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club