Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant motor color

Does anyone know what color the engine should be in my 1928 Durant m2 with the w5 engine.

Where Are You From? Ne

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Re: Durant motor color

Hi Craig....

Click on the Technical Page button.

Then look under Manuals & other Technical documentation.

Middle column last item Gray-Green. There are color chips for the engine color.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

After some research, I ordered this Engine Enamel from Bill Hirch. It is a Grey Black or some such, Lincoln Grey, Early L Type, up to 1929.
Later this week I should have my 14L painted with this color. I'll also use it on the W5 engine for my coupe project.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Durant had their engines painted a Gray/Green. Years ago Bob Porter sent me some samples of the color he had mixed up by a paint supplier based on original codes. The codes were not available or the paint or something, but he had placed some paint on wood samples and sent it to me. I scanned them and sent them to Rick to place on the website. Over the years several people have had some made up from various suppliers but they just don't hit the mark and don't look authentic enough. I was looking through paint samples from the old charts on the Auto color Library (www.autocolorlibrary.com) site and came across several Durant colors in the charts I could not find my Riviera Green for my car, but did find the Ambatto Green on their charts which was another color offered for 4 door sedans in 1928. I also found a paint chip on there called Gray Green which has Ditzler number IM827 which appears to be the correct and matching color for our engines. You can order it by calling them. I'm not sure what type of paint would be sufficient to hold up to engine heat or abuse, but maybe Acrylic Enamel? The painters in the club could tell you more. Also several years ago I contacted Bill Hirsch about making up our paint and he said he would not because there wasn't enough call for it. His paints are very good though, used it on my TR6 and it has lasted for many years without peeling or chiping. But if you want authentic then you have to go the Gray Green.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

I printed that engine color scan that is in our tech page, took it down to one of our local auto paint suppliers and had them mix to match the print, possiably something was lost in scaning and or printing, they did match the paint to my print exactly but I honestly was not at all happy with the color... It may not be exactly an original color but I am also painting the 6-W engine in my '25 Flint with the Bill Hirsch Early Lincoln grey/green.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hey Bill, way too much gray in the paint rather than leaning on the green side. OK if your not going to show your cars with the AACA. But like I said, if you don't care about being authentic, then Hirsch engine paints I think are the best. The seem to last and last.

I am close enough to having my engine together that the paint color has been on my mind. I was able to find just a small area where some of the orginal paint is still visible. So I turned to my paint chips. The the vote of the family is that Oasis Green, used on 1960 Studebaker paint code P-6053 Ditzler number 42731 is the color. Any auomotive paint supplier should have a formula for this color. This is greener than the color in the tech page, but that color is different depending on the computer I am on.
If someone has access to the actual chips and could compare this to orginal paint I would interested in your opinion of this color is.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star 2 door

Is it just the 4 cylinder cars that had the gray/green engine color? Every 6 cylinder I ever had was gray with black accessories.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Same here Dave.
As most know l have junked and restored a lot of Durant Star cars and they all have had grey painted engines.
The bright red 30 Durant 407 four door l sold to Charlie Spitz passed the first time at a official AACA judged show with a grey painted engine. No one even knows what a Durant is let alone the right engine color. See car and engine pictures on our club Website here. We did put a proper cloth period wiring harness in the car and proper period hose clamps after these pictures and before the AACA show.
We even got by with a new Zenith carb on it.
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Not sure Dave, Most of the engines I've seen are the gray/green color. I have seen several of the 1930 plus have very light gray/green color almost a gray. Your right Lance, many AACA Judges do not know what a Durant even is, but you just might get one that does and if your showing it, you will get points deducted. I know because I am a Judge for them and have judged the National events like Hershey. Ask Bill Vigus, he got points deducted because his Flint had the wrong engine color. I guess it's like the early star engines. Some say most are black, but some have seen red engines. I know that many years ago Bob Porter did quite a bit of research on the color and his car won the AACA Senior award. He's the one that provided the samples to me originally. Maybe Frank can join in, since he has so many cars in various states. Frank what do you see in your garage as far as engine color? Hey Bob Smith, what do ye say? I guess it's like anything else Durant, nothing is standard or in stone.

If you use the key word "eye bolt" and scroll down, I posted a coupla pics of my 6-W six cylinder Continental engine, which appears to have original paint and yes it is more to the green rather than the grey....

Lance, when you wine and dine those AACA judges the night before your showing you need to have them better briefed....

After re-reading my prievious post, I realize my failed attempt at humor was both incensitive and withought merrit...I appoligise to Lance, to anyone connected with the AACA or anyone that I may have offended.

Bill

Hey Bill
I know on my part there is no offense taken. I took it just as a joke as it was meant to be. As I stated above I am a Judge with the AACA and have judged at several events including Hershey one year. For those of you that may not know AACA Judges do not know what cars they will be judging until the morning of the show at the Judges breakfast, where they get their assignments. Don't worry about it Bill.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club