Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transmission and differential oil weight

I am about to refill both the transmission and differential of my 1928 D-60. The differential has new oil seals, but the transmission doesn't and has no provision for such. I'm afraid that the transmission will leak plenty if I use conventional 90 weight oil. I know that Ford model A transmissions are also without provision for oil seals, and hence Ford recommend 600 weight oil (so viscous it is almost grease). Would anyone know what is recommended for Durant's transmissions and differentials? or had any experience in this matter?

Thank you for the help!

Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60 and 1930 614, both 4 door sedans

Re: Transmission and differential oil weight

Hi Claude-use 600 wt in both the trans and rear end. It will slow down the gears in the trans which makes it shift a little easier. It will also run out of the back of the trans slower! Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Hi Claude,
I have used these two oils for over 15 years, first in my model A Ford and then in both of my Durants.

They are used in the steering box, transmission, spring shackles and rear-end.

Luriplate
PART # LUB008
Restoration Supply Company
15182B Highland Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92025
(800) 306-7008 Phone
(760) 739-8843 FAX

Torco Oils
PART # A-T250W
Piranio's Antique Auto
102 N. Ohio, Celina, Texas 75009
(972) 382-2742 Phone
(972) 382-2542 FAX
piraniosantiqueauto@waymark.net

IMHO, both the Luriplate and Torco Oils are excellent modern replacments for the orginal steam cycleinder oil (600wt).

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 & 1931 Model 619

Thank you Phil and Rick for the smart advice. I will follow your recommendations and save my driveway, not to mention the underside of my Durant.

CHEERS!
Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60 and 1930 614, both 4 door sedans

The Durant Motors Automobile Club