Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Got it running

Got the little beast running again --sounds good but I have a slight problem --
I have one forward gear and three reverse gears -- sure would go fast backward. I dont understand how that hapened =--All I took apart was the rear end to replace the crown gear and pinion Any one got a solution for me??
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant model 6 14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Got it running

Ken, you have performed a mirical!!! I didn't think it was possible to install the differential gear in backwards. Or maybe you have the pinion gear upside-down, or maybe the axels are swapped right for left,,,,,,,,,,,
Just kidding, the differential is in backwards.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Ken that just lets you see where you been much better and makes the trip more interesting.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Yes---just having a bit of lunch and it hit me right between the eyes-- Dont know how I could be so stupid. lolol Anyway=---back to work now and reverse it all then go for a drive. I was hoping to get back here and tell everyone how dumb I am but you beat me to it
Ken

Hi Ken,

Don't feel too bad about getting your rear end up-side down, I did the same thing when I was in the army...I put the differential carrier assembly into a Dodge 3/4 ton truck in upside down, I thought it strange that I had to tap the axles in a little harder than normal, It also didn't help that I had a hell of a hangover from the night before...Anyway, I went to back the truck out of the motorpool when I was finished and nearly went flying through the wall of the motorpool....Fortunatly, I was able to right the rearend before anyone saw what I had done...It does make one feel a little stupid.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Makes me feel kinda stupid alright. I knew I turned the whole rear end over when I was working on it so should have known enough to turn it back.--Oh well--live and learn. I will be hearing about this for a few days I am sure. It runs right now---3 forward and 1 back Now to get my trailer wired and get the little beast down to the inspectors so I can license it in my name. Thats next week maybe. It wont be going to Michigan this year but next year it should be seen in San Diego
Drove down the block a little way and all my neighbours were waving and smiling. Guess I pleased a few of them anyway. When I tried to stop I found I had no brakes-- Thats a major item and should be done first. Dont want to run over a neighbours cat or dog --or drive through the flower garden - think it might upset a few of them .
Ken

Ken:
I think most of us have installed a crown gear & pinion backwards. I know i DID with a 1941 Ford back in the fifties. Had to get the car running to go to the drive in on a Saturday night. Had to go there in reverse. The only forward gear that I had. Sure got laughed at. Never forgot it though.
Looking forward to seeing you in Michigan.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Never mind Ken .. back to the Moose to draw it around the block..

30's Durant's seldom have brakes that work, so you are up to speed on that one. You might want to pick up a boat anchor and chain to toss out the window to help stop the coup.

Lad here in the late 60's was putting a 26 Star roadster together and we found him a rear end and springs that were missing. You got it he did the same thing with 3 reverse one forward.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club