Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pinion gear and bearings

I need a new pinion gear if anyone has one for sale- Mine got a bit of damage when the nut came off the end of the shaft and The inner bearing got chewed up. I see that both inner and outer bearings are the same? ( I think) I could use a pair of these as well Doesnt look like I will be taking my car to Michigan . Maybe just the part numbers for both bearings and races as well as the seal
Thanks for any help I can get
Ken

Where Are You From? kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: Pinion gear and bearings

Hi Ken......

Go to the technical page and under maintenance data, click on modern pinion seal.

Ron Jaremkow wrote a very good article about replacing the pinion seal with a modern one. He gives the part number for the seal.

Contact Ron, he may have info on the bearings.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Some

Re: Pinion gear and bearings

Ken=You're probably ready to take the car out and shoot it. The bearings and races should be Timken and should be obtainable. Hopefully the races haven't spun in the housing. It sounds like you need a new pinion and ring gear. You could probably get by with a couple teeth missing on the ring gear, but I think the pinion only has ten? There are also various thickness of shims that fit between the pinion gear housing and the differential housing to give the gears the best contact. The next potential problem is the rear axle shafts that seem to snap on a regular basis. The late Lynn Meeker had new ones made and someone must have the computer program that has all the instructions necessary to make more. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club