Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
618 tire cover

Many years ago my grandfather owned a rare 32 durant model 618 apparently it was only produced in limited quantities and those made were used in the showrooms of dealers to promote the 32 line. He sold the car in the mid 1950s but kept the spare tire cover which he gave me in the 1970s . It soon disappeared but recently resurfaced when I cleaned out my parents home.

Can anyone out there verify that the tire cover ( photos attached0 is actually a durant tire cover and whether if it is a single side mount or one of a pair of sidemounts or a rear cover.

Thanks

Cobourg Kid

Where Are You From? cobourg ontraio

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Is this a 6-18 tire cover?

Ok guys and gals, 50 views thus far and absolutely no one has an opinion on the origin of this tire cover.?

Re: Is this a 6-18 tire cover?

i had one just like it a few years ago and that was for a 1934 ford.....

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3....2 1929 durant model 60's and a 1925 star F roadster

Don't know that I've seen many hard shell rear tire covers for any Durants. Could it be for the fender mount spares? Anybody seen them before?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Hi All.....

I've only seen one set of these metal tire covers on Durant products.

When I got my 617 it came with similar covers for the dual fender mounted wire wheel spares. They are not installed on the car, but where in the back seat. Probably too much trouble to remove and reinstall.

If you look at the 6-18 catalog at DurantCars.com it appears that the 618 deluxe came with tire covers.

These may be generic covers that fit many applications.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

I have covers for my side mount spares but not like that one. Mine is chrome plated and fits over the spares sort of like a spring loaded thing Also has holes in them for a mirror I think
Ken

Hi guys:
If you look at Ray Zenz's car under photographs, 1931 Durant 612 pulman, you will see that this car had covers on both Fender mounts and side covers as well. They also had a small Durant emblem on each. The only difference to this one, is that Ray's had a chrome strip around the middle.
Most of these were after market add ons.
We have one on the back of the Frontenac, but I believe it is after market. I also have one like that pictured.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club