Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
softening old upholstry?

Hi all
I have just purchased a 1924 Flint open car that had been stored for many years in Missouri. We are beginning the process of cleaning away many years of dust and grim along with the mouse houses.
I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to clean and "soften" the original leather upholstry and top material? The seats are not completely dryed, but the door panels are getting there.
Also, this car will be stored in my back building which contains mice and chipmonks.Do you know the best way to keep them away? .I have never syored an open car with upholstry. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Jim G.

Where Are You From? OHIO

Re: softening old upholstry?

Jim:
Congratulations on getting that Flint. The best "softener" for old hard leather is to "feed" the leather with "neats foot oil" . Hard to find a harness maker these days, but if you have a Tack Shop catering to horse riders, you will find it. Smear it on with a cloth and let it sit. Eventually with several applications it will absorb all the oil. This is what is used on saddles, harness etc.
As for the vermin, best get a good cat.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

i remember the name "lexol" as a leather restorer...

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

i use a product called FRESH CAB....it is a bag of stuff smelling like evergreen tree scent that mice are not supposed to tolerate and abandon the car....
it smells positive to me....

Thank Gord.... I have heard of this before. We have a leather and harness shop just south of town.. I'll check.
Gary... do you know where to get the fresh cab at?
Thanks for the replys. Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

whereever they sell mouse and rat traps...hardware stores...4 bags about $15.00...but it does last quite a while...it is a yellowish 4 inch square box

I store my '29 in St. George every winter and I use Downey Drier sheets all over the upholstry and in the tail pipe and so far no mice

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Hey Jim
Gord is right, in my other life I go off an fight the battles of the Civil War as a reenactor. We have lots of old leather, such as saddles, belts, cartridge boxes, cap boxes etc that take quite a bit of abuse out there on the fields. Most of the reenactors use the neats foot oil to keep their leather soft and pliable. You might have to treat it several times, but it should work. I'd go to the auto parts store first and get a leather cleaner by say McGuire and clean the leather the best you can. Maybe start with warm soapy water, then the McGuires and then the neats foot oil. I've also used it to restore some World War II Italian and German infantry leather that I bought for my collections. Worked great.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. My nephew said he would be out Sunday and start the cleaning process. All your comments were very appreciated. Jim G.

Where Are You From? OHIO

Old timers such as myself use Neatsfoot oil. Does a great job. Check Google under Neatsfoot oil on your computer for quite a bit of great information on the subject. Good luck Jim....

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks ,NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23Durant A22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club