Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine/trans.alignment

Well I finished the body off restoration of the frame, took the cylinder head off to verify that the motor was actually overhauled, and yes I found the bores to be nicely honed with shiny new pistons. I dropped the motor and trans. in and there seems to be an alignment issue, to get a nice straight alignment between the engine and trans. the front of the engine will have 1/1/4 inch space between the frame and bottom of the motor mount and the rear 3/8 inch. This seems odd and it has a noticeable engine tilt, is this normal or what is the usual spacing for motor mounts? Thanks

Where Are You From? Duluth MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 model 60 coupe

Re: Engine/trans.alignment

Todd, If you are absolutely sure the frame is not bent or twisted,you will need to get the rear engine mounts back down on the frame. To do this, raise the rear of the transmission. The rear trans mount is provided with shims to adjust the angle of the tranny.
Was the car completely assembled when you got it?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

I got it, Thanks Phil Peters. Rear of trans. tight (no shims), center trans. support about 3/8 inch shimmed, rear motor mounts tight to frame, and front motor mounts have a 3/8 inch shim. It took some messing around but looks to be a perfect alignment, now all I need for a test ride is the throwout bearing and the housing.

No the car was in boxes,with the motor out also.

On another note and pertaining to this thread, What is the proper rubber product to use on the front engine mount brackets?
I've been told to use '55-'57 Chevy donuts and Rick Botti is using donuts from a Model A Ford "Float-A-Motor" setup.
Does anyone have a photo or drawing for the correct installation?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

Hey Don
My motor mount rubber is a square block. Not sure if that is original, but looks like it. Restoration Supply has blocks of rubber that can be cut to fit.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club