Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coil

what kind of reading should I be getting with my multimeter on the coil?

I can find info on 12volt but nothing on 6 volt-- Just cant seem to get spark to the plugs to get this buggy running.

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Coil

Hi Ken....

Easy way to check your coil.

Disconnect the wire from the coil terminal to the points. Use a jumper wire from the coil terminal to ground. When you quickly touch this jumper to ground (with ignition switch on) you should get a spark from the high tension lead to ground. If you do problem is in distributor, probably a shorted wire or condenser. If no spark check that you have power to the coil through ignition switch. If you have power but no spark the coil is bad.

This is a simple test that will isolate the problem area....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

One last question.. I hope
--seems like I see different drawings--does the wire from the ignition go to the positive side of the coil and the neg go to the distributor ?? Thats what I have seen mostly so hope it is right. Got a new coil and seem to have a spark now so dont want to screw it up .
Ken

Ken....

Which post of your battery is connected to the frame?

Since the points connect the coil to the frame, the wire from the distributor to the coil will connect to the same terminal.

If the negative terminal of your battery is connected to the frame, then the wire from the points will be connected to the negative terminal of the coil. If it is positive ground it will be the positive terminal.

Hope this helps........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Okay --got it right-- Now just have to make it run .
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club