Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1927 Star speedster

On eBay is a 1927 Star speedster, # 110896467564

Where Are You From? Kokomo,IN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star speedster

Re: 1927 Star speedster

That's a coupe. Notice the tall door and closed car cowl.
Actually, with all the parts necessary to complete a coupe, this would be considered just a parts car. The starting bid is already much over the value of the parts. It would be worth a lot more if it were complete and in nicer condition.

Don,
What do you think this car is worth as is ?
I am the person that has it listed on e-bay, and felt I represented it accuratley, I feel the car is pretty complete except for the top, which I have some of rotted wooden frame parts. All of the running gear/drive train is complete, most of the metal is there and in pretty good shape. Maybe I would be better off to part it out ? Thought is was complete enough that someone would be interested in restoring it. Would appreciate your (or any other Star collectors) input.
Thank you
Ernie Ruth

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Coupe

Ernie,
Durant and Star cars are fairly rare and hard to get parts for. Coupes. for some reason, are more rare that tourings and sedans. With this in mind, the market for used parts is very small and sources for used parts is also very small. I've been looking for a pair of coupe trunk hinges for 6 years, and counting.
Our Durant vehicles have more value when they are complete, in good condition, and running. Of course, this can be said for any of the orphan cars of the era.
On the other hand, if you had a Model T in this condition, all the necessary parts to complete are easily purchased and the core value would be higher. But then, Model T's are common as dirt.

I don't want to disparage your merchandise but your project is worth from 650.00 to 1200.00 realistically.
In this condition it is going to take more money to restore it than you would ever sell it for. If you could ever find the missing top parts and other details to finish it.

You have a very generous first bid on your auction and if it were me selling it, I would be tickled to get that price. I guarantee you would not get that price if you tried parting it out within the next 20 years.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Don,
Thanks for responding, as you can probably tell, I'm not a Star collector. I purchased this car from an estate, thinking it was rare, and worth more than your estimate. Also seeing what people are pricing parts for, thought I could recoupe my investment by parting it out if necessary. I have reduced my reserve price, will see what happens. If that doesn't work, will probably have parts for sale. Also will check to see if it has trunk hinges, if you are interested.
Thanks again
Ernie

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Coupe

I've got the materials to build the trunk hinges, I just need to build a jig to build them on. However, I would prefer to have some original hinges. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

The Durant Motors Automobile Club