Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1930 Durant/T.J.Richards

Wow: Look what was posted today on E-Bay. To see a Australian bodied Durant for sale here is hard to believe. If it was not accross the country I would be looking at it tomorrow. Don..how close is that town in LA. from you?
For sure I don't want to see this car "Rodded". It's interesting to see the differences in the body, bumpers and wheels.
The phone number listed is 318-932-310
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: 1930 Durant/T.J.Richards

It's on the other side of Shreveport from me. Only 117 miles. I'll be glad to help anyone out if they buy the car. Maybe could store for awhile or something.
I noticed the right hand drive also.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

I'm only 3 or so hours away from this, and looking for a project. This seems awfully interesting, but for a non-Durant guy, awfully intimidating as well. I have many years of little british car work under my belt - can anyone point me to some information on this concept of an Australian body on an American (or Canadian?) car? There isn't very much info on the background, parts availability, etc.

Thanks

John
Hammond, LA

Where Are You From? Hammond, LA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not Yet ..

1930 standard sedan on ebay. The differences I can see are tailight on RH fender, ventilators on sides of cowl (a open car feature here), 3 hinges on the doors instead of 2, the bumper bars are different, but the backing bar looks the same, of course the right hand hooker. The headlights looked like standard Glolites with the parking lights at the top.Seems like out of country cars always had some different headlamps(probably to this day). Oh, and the "constant loss" cooling system.Parts shouldn't be any harder than looking for US 6-14 parts. I'm always suprised at the asking prices for cars that need total restoration these days. I must just be getting old. This car looks straight and some streetrodder is probably salivating over the chance to chop this car up. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Australia did not allow complete cars to come to their country. The automobile companies produced a complete running chassis. Probably the right hand drive feature was done here. I am not sure. Australia had their own coach builders. That gave them an industry of their own. The largest one that I heard of is "Holden" They produced one Durant in our photographs section. Holden did all the bodies for GM cars and eventually GM bought them out. "Ruskin" is another and this one "T.J. Richards" There were probably more small firms.
Canada did produce complete Durant and Rugby cars at their Leaside plant.
I talked to the owner of this Durant today. I don't think he will let it go for rodding
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Has to be an interesting story on how it made it all the way back to the states and to Lousiana. Long trip for an old car to be shipped back here and costly too. Was it shipped back when new, or later? A mystery for sure.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Interesting to see an Aussie bodied Durant shipped back to the USA. I suspect it was shipped bodyless from Canada originally, like most Durants here. Some Durants were sold here complete with Canadian factory body. Phill Donohoe's D66 is one example. Complete imported cars were more expensive to buy because of higher taxes imposed on them to protect local body builders. . Right hand drive steering gear was USA made. TJ Richards built mostly for Dodge Chyrsler. Chrysler bought the plant to build the Valiant in early sixties. Mitsubishi bought the plant in the late seventies to build a widened body FWD Galant called Magna to replace the Valiant which was axed due to dwinling sales. The plant was closed about three years ago when Magna sales nosedived. Back to 614 on ebay, my car has a Ruskin built body.(check photo section) There are differences to Richards body. Mine has a single cowl vent on top,styling line on cowl is different, doesnt have windscreen raising mechanism, body is timber framed, (is the Richards body steel framed?), doesnt have timber door capping, my bumpers are two bar type. My 614 and the ebay car are one of a kind. I dont know of any other 614 sedans in Australia and cant imagine any other aussie built cars in USA. I hope a club member can buy and keep it original. My D65 had a Holden built roadster body originally, but was uted in 1950. I restored it with a tourer body. (see in phot section) Sid

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond and fill in the gaps I was wondering about. I will reach out to the owner this weekend and see if he is available for a meetup. After that, we'll see what happens.

-John

Where Are You From? Hammond, LA

Do You own a car built by Durant? not yet

The Durant Motors Automobile Club