Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil pressure fluctuations

Hi There:
Yesterday I took the Frontenac out to go to the annual Touring Inspection meet for HASC (Historic Automobile Society of Canada) When I got out on the highway and up to speed, I noticed that the oil pressure on the gauge was fluctuating (from 35 - 45 lbs) Normally, this engine (22AA) runs at about 40 at speed and 25 at idle.
Everything else seems to be normal. Drove about 10 miles and didn't seem to change.
Anyone out there run into a similar situation. There is a pressure regulator on the side of the block with a spring. Wondered if that could be be the culprit. We do drive this car a lot, and wouldn't want to screw anything up.
At idle it was steady at 25, only at the higher revs did it flutter.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Re: Oil pressure fluctuations

Gordo I'm sure this has occured to you, but I'd make sure that piston moves smoothly in it's bore for the oil pressure relief valve. Could it be slightly gummed up? ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross:
That's where I was going to start. Won't be able to get at it for a week or so, too many other aligators snappin' at my #$%@.
Hope everything is going well in Orygun.
Will we see you in Michigan?

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Gordo- I remember some Elvis sightings at a supermarket in Michigan, but you won't see me there this fall. I'll bet it will be a well attended meet as there are so many cars and members in the area. Jim Colbert and I have good memories about our first meet in Dearborn Michigan in 1981 organized by the late Lynn Meeker from the old Durant Family Registry. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Well we finally isolated the problem with our oil pressure fluctuations. We tried another oil pressure guage and it fluctuated with engine speed, giving us over 50 lbs when we revved up the engine. Now what?
We removed the oil filter and replaced it with a short copper line. End of problem, now the pressure is back to normal, cant get it over abour 40 lbs at high engine revs. So ---=- I guess the oil filter was blocked. Never had that happen before. We were going to change the oil and replace the filter, but it has rained all weekend and we have to work outside, so we will wait for better weather. At least now, we don't face the prospect of having to tear the engine down.
Has anyone else out there had this happen? I have replaced many of these filters and never had a problem before.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14932 Frontenac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club