Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for all you Durant mechanics

While in Charleston saw in Ron's car manual an eye bolt device that they put in I believe #3 cylinder to pull the engine. I know I don't have to use this, but was wondering if anybody knew the size and dimensions of this eye bolt. I believe the spark plugs have fine threads with 20 to an inch thread size? Does that sound right? I looked at the McMaster Carr website and could not find any there. Anybody found them anywhere or know where I can get one?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Question for all you Durant mechanics

Mikey!
Take an old spark plug and bust out the porcelain, insert a suitable size eye bolt, grind down a nut that fits the eye bolt and will fit inside the spark plug and weld it all up. Make two of 'em and you're all set to lift any Star or Durant engine, (except the A-22's)

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Mike and Don,
I found that if you have a cylinder head that is stuck and can't get it removed by normal methods that you can make up 4 of these puller bolts similar to what you are talking about, I used the take-apart type spark plugs and installed a 1/2" bolt that I machined off the hex to clear the spark plug threads in the block...Anyway, you basicly make up 1/2" plates that will set on top of the head studs that have 1/2" holes for the puller bolts...On the 6-W engine that I am working on someone in the past installed some larger head studs and didn't properly clearance the holes in the head, It took both the puller bolts and wedging to get it to move...

Photobucket

Photobucket">.com/albums/ll26/hupmobilebill/?action=view¤t=100_4144.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth , WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 / D 40 / 25 Flint

Hi Mike......

If you don't want to build the tool Don discribed, they are available from the Model A Ford suppliers like MACS.

Part number A-17022, fit all Durant & Star cars except the overhead valve models.

Frank

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Some

Thanks Frank, I ordered two from Macs. Just what I saw in the Star manual Ron had.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club