Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tires

I have the Coker recommended 475/500 x 19 tires on my 31 Durant. They dont have much braking surface and don't look quite right to me. What size/brand tire would work best and look good?

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 model 619

Re: Tires

Wayne:
I use the 5:50 - 18 Firestone tires on our 32 Frontenac. It has the same body etc as your 619 with the exception that you have the earlier 19" wheels.

I believe that you can get the Firestone tires from Coker.

You can see a picture of the Frontenac in the Photographs section.

I can still remember the ride we had in your car at Auburn. Enjoyable. Are you planning on coming to Traverse City in Sept.? If so, I will give you a ride in the Frontenac.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Wayne That's the right size for your car. Doesn't look like much surface area touching the road does it? All four tires about the size of a piece of notebook paper? But I've heard that our tall skinny tires work better in the snow, as opposed to today's steamroller tires. As if that ever comes up! Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Gordon:
Thanks.
We are trying to plan on the Michigan trip. Mightg even find another trailer and bring the car. Make a slow vacation out of it and go around the lake. But would love a ride in your Frontenac. Does your first gear growl like mine? Your 5.50 tires look good.

Where Are You From? Iowa

Wanye,
Lance discovered these tires made by Firestone.
The size is 550/600-19 and while the numbers suggest just a little larger than 475/500-19, you can see the tire really is taller and larger.

Something I'm thinking about put on my 619 when I get to that stange.

I've located some vintage tires - 5.25-5.50 x 19 that have been stored years out of the weather and sun. Should I be leary of using them? Owner says they are not weather checked and the weather is pliable and they could be mounted and used. Does Rayon deteriorate? They are w/w and have great tread depth - look good. by Lincoln Tire Co. Comments?

Where Are You From? Iowa

Wayne- Tire makers these days say that you should replace tires every six years, regardless of mileage. You can find all kinds of horror stories of tires exploding and cars flipping from tires with say 4000 miles and only ten years old. I would think a lot would depend on how high the temperature was that day, how fast was the person traveling, the load on the tire, etc.But the official line is about six years. The date code is stamped on the inside of the tire(if tires were mounted correctly). It is three digit number for the week and the last number of the year. (example 359- 35th week of 1999.) Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Only the Canadian 1932 Durant 614 / 618 used the 19 inch bigger tires and 32 Frontenac's the 18 inch. Coker is limited in the 5.25 / 5.50 x 19 to Excelsior Black 6 ply and BFGoodrich tires. Queensway Tires (Coker outlet) has the old books saying what size tires for what cars / years.

Just checking Coker US they only have Excelsior for the 5.25 / 5.50 x 18 and 19's but did quote me prices for Goodrich in 2008 for 19's. Gord you got your Firestone's from Queensway Tire. I know from emailing Coker having problems with Simco outlet, they don't show all tires online but give them a call or email and they will help you.

Lucas also has the 5.25 / 5.50 x 19 Lester Tire. They also have the reg 4.75 / 5.00 19's used 28 - 31 with the Goodyear Diamond tread which is not available for our 32 larger size.(plus other brands of tire's that size) Lucas will send you their free catalogue.

Haven't check lately with Universal Tire site for their tires and prices. Ah they also carry the 5.25 / 5.50 x 19 Lester black or white wall. A number of reg 4.75 / 5.00 x 19 Universal, Lester, Firestone, Dunlop.

The larger tires on the 32's make the car look Gestapo as if there should be hoods riding the running boards with guns. Dot has the bigger tires as you can see in photo's as we picked her up.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I have 4.75 / 5.00 19 bf good rich on my car. Bought them in Vancouver a few years back. Look like a pretty good summer tread
Ken

Wayne:
Drop me an email with your email address. I seem to have mislaid it.

email me at geecee@rogers.com

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

i paid about $75 for 4;75-5;00 x 19 from a tire co. with about 21$ for flaps and $20 for tubes....cannot remember name....its one of the popular names we see all the time..catalogues all over ...tire is their own brand so cheaper than goodyears etc.

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Unc Gary .. you must be talking about Timmy Horton's donuts.

Norm
You have to remember something=--Timmy didnt set up any shops in the states there are a few going in now but donuts from timmy are scarce so likely very expesive
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? yES

Hi Norm & Ken......

There are some Tim Horton's in the states!

There is one in Calcutta Ohio less than 10 miles from our house.

I think Jack dropped a donut on one of his trips here and it grew!

Great coffee also!

Frank
---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Ah thats why Unc Gary paid $75 a donut for his car

Didn't dawn on me the US wasn't over run by Timmy's on every corner, like we have here. McDicks was bad everywhere, now seem to be called McCafe as each is being updated, but Timmy's is a far worse blight. Shoppers Drugs must be a close 2nd. Those are only every second corner, ha ha. I have 5 Shoppers near me to choose from but use Pharama Plus (Rexall).

Gordon: good to hear you are planning on Michigan this fall. Jan and I would like to come. Watching for a trailer to bring my car also. Would be a long tow, but we could take it easy and maybe circle Lake Michigan - see relatives in Wisconsin. I'll take that ride in yours. Daughter has a wedding in June. Would like to dress up the Durant with white walls - she has asked me to drive them to the reception in the car. Will be our third wedding for the car. It's first was in 1939 when dad married mom.

Where Are You From? Iowa

i bought LUCAS tires 475-500x 19" for $75 apiece....
tubes and flaps also...in Springfield Ohio....they looked decent..

Got my white walls on! They are Lester tires - from Hershey. Look sharp! They are 5.25-5.50 x 19. Stand taller than my Coker 475-500 X 19's. I'll have to sell my old ones to a Madel A or someone. I'll get pictures at least at the wedding on 6/23. Any bigger tire would not look right - I think these are at the limit. Especially with my (forgive me) Chevy rear axle, which is a bit wider. The wide white's really stand out - you see lots of tire. Gangsta. Now I need a customized violin case

Where Are You From? IA

AHHHH, THE WOUNDED BRAIN RECOVERS....
LUCAS TIRE CO.
2850 TEMPLE AVE...LONG BEACH CALIF.90806
1-800-952 4333
OR
2141 WEST MAIN STREET, SPRINGFIELD OHIO 45504..1-800-735-0166
OR
WWW.LUCASCLASSICTIRES.COM

4.75-500 X 19..LUCAS BRAND....OLYMPIC TREAD...$75 @
BLACKWALL WITH TUBE FOR $13@

5.50-X19....LUCAS BRAND...3" TREAD...$175 WHITEWALL
$145 BLACKWALL

MANY OTHER ODD SIZES FOR "ANTIQUE SIZES"..20"-TO-37"

YOU MAY ALL THANK ME LATER AT MICHIGAN...HAHAHAHAHA

Re: Tires 4 off 5.25/5.50-19 white whall and plain

Rick Botti
Wanye,
Lance discovered these tires made by Firestone.
The size is 550/600-19 and while the numbers suggest just a little larger than 475/500-19, you can see the tire really is taller and larger.

Something I'm thinking about put on my 619 when I get to that stange.

Where Are You From? south africa jhb

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

The Durant Motors Automobile Club