Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear wrap around tin?

Does anybody know what is supposed to go above the rear deck, rear window area starting behind the doors. Is this just wood framed and wrapped in fabric/vinyl or is there supposed to be a metal backer for a 29 coupe. I was looking at the orange 29 coupe in the photos and it looks to be a vinyl top material.

Where Are You From? Duluth MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant coupe 60

Re: Rear wrap around tin?

Todd ..there area a couple of 60 coups before and after in photo's and I would imagine you need the tin work to form the shape of the upper body to cover it with the fabric.
I'm sending you a pic of Garys coup so you can see the wire wheels as well for an idea what they look like.
Gary perhaps you can help Todd about the tin work as yours is hard to make out if it has tin between doors and back windows. Doesn't appear to.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Todd,
There is a total of 5 pieces of tin in back of the coupe cab, 2 strips above rear window, 1 below and 2 rap-around pieces from doors posts to rear window framing...I was out to the shop today and snaged a couple of pictures of my 29...I just had a sheet metal shop that I frequently use sheer some strips of I think 29 guage black iron sheet metal which I trimed with shears to fit the wood framing, you need to conform the two strips above rear window to get a nice even curvature, the two side pieces are just bowed around the framing...I use 1/2" hardware cloth on roof in place of chicken wire, then the cotton or dacron pad will cover both the wire mesh and sheet metal, then covered with either the vinyl topping or the stayfast fabric for the canvas look...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth , WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 / D 40 / 25 Flint

Thanks Bill .. Here's Gary's 29 60 and I can't make out the back of door part that seems open like yours to back window. Gary must be missing the tin there so far.

Photobucket

Todd .. Don Shilling put this in the other forum.
Heres the full addy to see it

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/2946977336.html

You can see the wrap around tin of this Lansing 1929 60 coup.

Norm, The seller says that the wood in that '60 coupe is there for pattern but at a glance it appears to me that the roof structure is totaly incorrect and was something that was hashed together at some time.

Thanks Bill ... it was the wrap around tin that caught my eye but I did wonder about the sharp corner of roof to tin.

Seems to be a roadster body just out of sight of some car. Perhaps this is some rodder or restorer who has given up trying on the 60 ?

I sure appreciate the photos, any idea as to what or how to cover the rear window wood frame on the exterior side. I was sent a photo of a 70 coupe and that had the typical rear metal of other cars from that era.

Todd,
I am at about this same stage on restoring my 40 coupe...I am sure that the top material will wrap through the window opening and staple on the inside, at the corners the fabric will need slitting but not to be seen from the outside... I have seen tops that were covered with the rear window installed and they were unable to properly trim the raw fabric edge next to the rear window...The upper back bow has an approximat 1/8" recess routered in the center outside for joining and stapling the fabric, the back would go on first then the top for weather protection, then a hidum welt will cover the raw edge...When installing the wrap around tin leave enough wood exposed for stapling purposes...Anyway, this is how I think it all goes togather.

I appreciate that info, I was going to fab the tin to come to the wood edge, goood thing I read this first. Were these wrap arounds wood or metal from the factory, It seems all the photos I have seen of unrestored models have benn missing or have been with old weathered wood.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club