Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parts interchange

Does anybody know if a 29 coupe shares the same body parts such as door strikers, rear quarter, bumper brackets,... with other makes and models of that era? I am short a few items and have a damaged rt. rear quarter. How about wire wheels also, were these an option back then. Mine has wood wheels.

Where Are You From? Duluth MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant coupe 60

Re: Parts interchange

wire wheels were an option but require brake drums for wires not same as wood drums which are bolted to wood wheels...we must check parts books to see interchanges...specifically what parts do you need...what model durant and year do you have?....

uncle normie, are you listening to this ???...nephew gary asks for your help here...hahahah

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Hi Unc Gary ... Yes you need help Note Todd says he has a 60 coup so that answers your questions about year and model. You really must get your tri focal's looked at. Thought I was bad with cataracts and things looking blurry.

Its odd the after market catalogues US make no mention of wire wheels for any model, but then look at hub caps section and it mentions caps for wire wheels, or hub shell covers as they call them. Canada same yr catalogue mentions wires for Frontys and 407, 614, 618 of the two sizes 19 and 18 inch.

The wire caps it says are for
63, 66, 70 $1.40
M2, M4, 40, 60, 65, 75 $1.25
612, 619 5 bolt $1.55
407, 612, 614, 617, 619 6 bolt $1.25

I was going to say pre 30 wires were 4 bolt 19's with lock rings but as we know nothing is set in stone with Durant's. Appears the standard 60 was wood and deluxe had wire. From Terry's site .... De Luxe models equipped with: Front Bumper, Rear Straight Bumper, Baggage Rack, Cowl lights and Band, Six wire wheels with two spare wheels mounted in front fender wells and equipped with two spare tires and tubes, and tire covers.

I'm assuming the bearings wood or wire wheel drums are same ones as they don't break that down. Seems to say from M2 to 619 except 70, 75, 401, 617 are same for inner and outer bearings.

As far as other makes using same body parts I have no idea. I wish at times I had one of those cross reference books that parts suppliers had, to say part X fit models xyz for Chandler, GPaige, Plymouth etc. Head light lenses Rick has put that info for me on DMAC for Don's bulbs. I know door handle sellers wish there was a book that said what handles fit what cars. There is no such book. That orange repro Interchangeable Parts Handbook (Chilton) is next to useless after I bought one.

Franks repro pre 30 parts book might help with Durant models having same parts not mentioned in after market catalogues.

I know Minaikers auto parts back to 1920 has a shelf of manuals I wouldn't mind having going back to the teens. Randy just pulled out one on Durant's to look up a part for me. No way are the books for sale belonging to his gfather, father to him. Queensway Tire can tell you what tire fits what car and model again as they have the old books for that. In my case the larger size was only 1932 Durant.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

That's starting to shed more light on the subject. There is someone selling a set of wire wheels for a Durant on Ebay right now, I think they are 5 or 6 hole though and really spendy.

Hi Todd ... yes there is. Your talking 220974675806 and $2000 plus $475 shipping. A heads up on that. This is in NJ and 2nd time of having them there. Don't be fooled by his headings. I've talked to him a few times over ebay and off. Someone in Maine had a 614 Durant and is older now and getting rid of the excess parts. That's what all these parts are. Can't remember if the car is sold as well. Joe is selling the parts for the older fellow and has it in his head they are valuable and worth big $$ because Durant's aren't around. Unless he brings his prices down a lot, he will have them forever.

All the parts are early 1930 614 deluxe sedan if I go by the welled front fenders ,5 bolt wheels, and spear hood. No one is going to buy the hand crank for $199.99 you can pick up for a few dollars that fits a pile of vehicles and farm / industrial uses. The wheels are 5 bolt with side rings but I don't see the rings to hold the tires on, so useless without the rings. His two drums are 6 bolt. And no parts don't fit pre 30 D's like he says.

Have to remember it was a big change and almost nothing pre 30 fits post 29 cars and vice versa. The 1930 617 is the exception of having a 1930 body, fenders, rad, but running gear / wheels of the 28 / 29. So really it apply's to the 617 as well ,depending on the part. Even the lugs on the split rims, 29 to a 30 are different. Tires / tubes are about it and beehive taillight lense used on some pre 30 models but all post 29's. You would swear it was two different Co's made the cars when placed side by side. The pre 30 older looking more matronly / higher, to the sleeker lower / wider and faster 30's.

Having said that, Dot only had the shock part on the front as someone cut the arms in half and ball off the link plate. Then put on tube shocks. I still have to figure how to cut the welded plates, axle and frame, off. I debated a long time if to buy his front's at his prices. Don't know if you recall his were shocks, arms, links and link plates. Where was I going to get the entire pkg to put Dot back the way she was orig ? I just put those shocks back on Dot (my 32 614) Still have to get rid of the tube crap. Few weeks more debating as I have nothing of rears and again tubes put on. I gave in and the rear same pkg of shock, arm ,link and link plate's are in the mail to me. Only difference, the Munro shocks do not say Acme Gear Co of Toronto, we had for Canadian cars, but some Co in Michigan.

Ya I would never pay those prices, the wheels are more than I paid for the car.I have a few e-mails in to the seller for a week now and no replies. I will keep my eye out for 29 and older parts.

My last personal mail outside ebay was March 29th about the rear shocks and he had been ill the week before. I did do, the buy me now, Mar 29 and waited until next day to get his invoice as he requested. That was paid paypal Mar 30. I have asked him several times about the fender light on the drivers fender, if he would sell it separately. Never answered the mails on that back in early Feb before he relisted everything a week after, nor this time asking the same thing. I know the light is in two pieces which is common for these poorly made lights but it seems to have the Depress Beam lense I am missing one of. He doesn't seem to reply to mails ebay wise. No idea who or what Winstons Garage is nor Winston Smith, as neither comes up in search and neither is his real name. Ebay has a good rating but for two and shows 1640 items sold. He's never sold anything Durant before nor this old. I have no complaints about the front shocks and what it cost him postal wise out of pocket. It sure wasn't the $49.75 shown but higher. Its just ebay mail not replied to is annoying.

I don't know how you tell what drums fit your 60 for wires. I'm fairly confident they should be 4 bolt wires and drums. The US aftermarket catalogue has less info than our Canadian ones on a lot of parts ,drums being one. From what I see Can wise, various models use different drums 28 - 29 . Theres also a note saying ... For models S4, 40 and 60 with 3 shoes brakes. I do know the S4, 40 and 60 had 2 and 3 shoe brakes per catalogue. Assume thats why different drums for those as well. Perhaps lads with pre 30 vehicles can help you as to what to look for, for your 60. Again maybe Franks pre 30 parts repro book would help sort that out, better. Having said that I seem to recall 4 bolt as side ring in front but also side ring front and back as well. Someone had the dble side ring wheels for sale a year or two back.

Such a Mickey Mouse Co of not standardizing parts model to model or even in that model, nor plant to plant. Why a lot of us say no two cars the same.

MY 29 COUPE IS A WIRE WHEEL CAR...IT HAS 4 BOLTS OUTSIDE THE CENTER HUB LIKE MODEL A'S HAVE..AND A SMALL HUB HOLE..WILL EMAIL APIC TO YOU.....LIKE NORM SAYS.....I DO NOT HAVE IT IN MY GARAGE YET....BUT SHOULD IN A FEW WEEKS.....I DOM HAVE ONE WHEEL HERE...

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Thanks Unc Gary ..I assume you both got my mail with a pic of your coup. I have no idea why the mail shows a box with red x for the pic, but if you click on the attachment the pic opens to see the car.

If I click on the pic on my desk top under properties there is a message saying "this file came from another computer and might be blocked to protect this computer" Then there's a box that says unblock. I did that and message disappeared. I sent the pic to myself and again I get a box with red x ???? Computers grrrrrrr Must have Ford parts in them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club