Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brakes

Hope everyone here is doing well. It's been a while since my last post here.
About a year and 1/2 ago I finished everything mechanical on my Durant 614 and was ready to put it together. The only thing stopping me was the brakes. I had the drums pulled off, the pads looked brand new, but the springs were all shot. I have searched and searched for replacements without luck. Life then got a little hecktic and the rebuild was put on hold. Fast forward to now and I'm ready once again to put it together. So the question is what are my options on the brakes? The car has wire rims(if it's important), and I will be using them.

Still looking forward to seeing you all in the future.
-Shaun

Where Are You From? Oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 - M-2

Re: Brakes

One place to look is the McMaster Carr Co and they have an on-line catalog. You may be able to find something close to the OEM springs or modify one to fit your needs.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Shaun- There should be 3 types of springs on your 6-14, the main spring across the top, a small helper spring and the circular "anti-rattle" springs that hold the brake band to the backing plate. Do you have any of these? I might have a couple of used springs and I will be at the swap meet this weekend, but you would do better to find new springs as suggested above. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Not that its going to help much but the Chilton Interchange Parts says

Long spring Durant 614 is same as Auburn 8-98, Oakland 8 cyl 1930.
Short spring Auburn 8-98, Durant 614, Oakland 8 cyl 1930
Antirattler spring .. Auburn 8-98, DeVaux 6-75, Durant 614 and 617, Nash 450, 660, 870, 880, 960, 970, 980, Oakland 8 cyl 1930 and 1931, Pontiac 6 cyl 1930 and 1931.
They are all Midland Steeldraulic brakes. Hupmobile springs are different as are the other springs for cars mentioned.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Shaun
I sent you an E mail and havent heard anything back. I have a few springs from a 614 parts car I had and if they will fit I will send them . Let me know what you need and if possible send a picture. I probably have them. Prices are cheap.
Ken

Where Are You From? kamloops B C canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant -Deluxe rumble seat coupw -model 6 14

Ken ..thought you were using the springs as part of the Moose harness to haul the coup around with..

Norm--I shot the moose and ate him-- Dont need any more harrness for him now--Want to buy a cheap harness for a moose?? Its complete with springs
Ken

Your all set then, Moose hide upholstery and a freezer full of meat. Mount the antlers in front of the rad as a stone guard.

Naw .. harness too heavy for the hundreds of Canada Geese we have here. Messy birds everywhere.

IT IS NICE TO SEE THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY CLUB MEMBER WITH A FEW SCREWS LOOSE.....HAHAHAHAHAHAAH
REGARDS, GARY K

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Not only loose screws--seems like maybe a few nuts are off the bolts too But its okay --I am happy this way
Ken

All in good fun with a great club / group of people.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club