Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine color

What is the correct engine color for a 1925 Star F with Serial # C, black or gray/green? Thank you.

Where Are You From? Kokomo,IN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star F, formerly a 4 dr. sedan

Re: Engine color

Look under Technical Page, Engine Colour.

Gordf8ve

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

my star seems to be the grey - green color...whole car is "olive" like color or gray-green??

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 4 dr durant ; 1925 star f roadster; 1929 '60' coupe

Hey Guys, today I checked at both Sherwin Williams stores in town for the JX-6386 Grey-Green engine paint. Both stores no longer sell automotive paint so if I deal with them I will have to use a Gold water based latex house paint. Don't think so.
I went to several other automotive paint stores but no one could cross the SW number over to their paints.
I even left an email message to Bill Hirsch with a link to our sample on the tech page to see what he can do. No word back from him yet.
Anybody have any other suggestions?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

Don & Dennis
Several years ago when I was starting my restoration I received a response from a club member Bob Porter about the engine color. He had restored his Star to award winning status and had received the Senior Award for his car from the AACA. Bob was gracious enough to send me the proper engine paint samples on paint sticks which I scanned and gave to Rick to put on the web site. I have contacted the TCP Global/Auto Color Library people in California who can provide just about any original color for our cars that they put on them. They advised me that if I sent a sample of the paint, they would match it and make it available in Acrylic Enamel which they said would hold up for the engine if prepared properly. The fee is $60 for the matching and then you have to buy the quart, which is what they indicated would be the smallest amount they would sell. I'm not quite at that point yet, but if you want me to I will send them the samples next week and have them match it up so they will have the formula and be able to provide the paint to you. I'm not sure what the cost of the quart will be, I guess it depends on the paint company PPG, or restoration shop which I believe is their brand.
Also for your info, if you look at their site and look down the page for the fist auto color guides, you'll have to browse all the colors, but our Durant colors are listed there. I found my Ambatta Green that I need to do my car body. If you want to go that route and wait for a week or two for them to respond to me, I'll go ahead and send them the samples early next week. As far as Bill Hirsch his paints are one of the best for the engines and last a long time, but years ago when I contacted him, he responded that he did not have our paint color and that it would not be financially viable for him to make them up since he has so few calls for the Durant color. Buick did make a color that was close, but it is a bit too green on the torquise side to be exact.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Mike,
I found a shop in Hope, AR that still used Sherwin Williams automotive paints. However, they only used exterior finish paints and couldn't help me with engine enamels.
I'm going to Bumper to Bumper tomorrow to check their color charts and see if I can find anything close in another brand.
Most available paints are priced at about 35.00 per quart and I would be willing to pay that much.
Go ahead and see what your contact can supply and we'll go from there.

I just got a reply from Bill Hirsch that they do not have any color charts. That's a shame on their part because, many times, I probably would have purchased products from them for other applications. Another point, you don't even know if their colors are correct until you buy the paint and spray in on an engine.

Don,

I used Bill Hirsch engine paint on my 14L and 22A.
The color I used for the 14L was "Lincoln Grey Early L Type up to 1929".
It’s really a Green/Grey color this is close the orignal.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

Outstanding, that is what I was wanting to know. I'll order a couple of quarts now.

Thanks!!

recent picture of my 14L.

The color in the picture isn't perfect, but you get the idea.

Rick

I looked at that color but if you want to be authentic, it's just too gray. Not enough green in it. I'll stick with the custom match since I'm going to show my car. I feel I owe it to future generations to be as authentic as possible.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club