Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
correct engine for a 1923 Durant

I know a lady that has a 1923 Durant. How would I identify the correct engine for this car? I know it has a fuel problem in that her husband says it has a vacuum tank for the fuel and that it won't start. If gas is provided via a gravity feed I think it runs.
Would appreciate any info.
thanks,

Bob Cook

Where Are You From? Indiana

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Re: correct engine for a 1923 Durant

I think that could be a W5 is there a black round cylander on the fire wall? if so unhook the bottom line and hook up a gas can to that line it should run.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? ,29 M4

Hi Bob.....

A 1923 Durant should have an overhead valve engine.

It will be either a 4 cylinder (A-22) or a 6 cylinder (B-22).

Don's advice on the vacuum tank is correct, you can test run it with a gravity flow gas can.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Some

The vacuum tank fuel feed system is not so complicated. However, to my disgust, gasohol wreaks havoc with it unless you drain it down after every run. Otherwise you'll need to clean it and remove rust barnacles and unstick things. Same with carbs.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bob,

Here is a pic of my '23 Durant A-22 engine, the engine is correct with the exception that I have replaced the problemsome original tillotson carburator with a modern Zenith.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Three

Would not an electric fuel pump bypass any problems with the vacuum tank. Seems to me a few folks have done this with pre and post 30's. On post we have a fuel pump but electric acts as backup should the diaphram or pump fail.

Just another thought to those pesky vacuum tanks.

Interesting, after market sold vacuum tanks for all models except 63, 70, 75 .. $10.25 but has a second line for 63 only at $7.50. Wonder why 70 / 75 isn't shown for a vacuum tank, which they were equipped with ??

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Norm,
I have had problems with the vacuum tank on my '23 Durant, with its location setting on top of the exhaust manifold it seemed to be prone to vaporlocking in warm weather, I also had times when the float or float valve would stick in the vacuum tank and raw fuel would be sucked into the vacuum manifold via the vacuum line, the engine would instantly flood out with a cloud of smoke out the exhaust...Anyway, I have gotten rid of those problems with an electric pump, the vacuum tank is there for ethetics only.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Three

Thanks Bill for backing me up. I understand the Cumberland Museum's 40 has an electric one and if my mind isn't too cloudy, Gords Frontenac as back up.

Know all too well about vapour lock. My chum of the 60 / 70's had a Dominion 1931 614 and it would do that now and then. We'd be driving along and it would just quit. Vapour lock between tank and fuel pump if it was very hot out.

One summer he was away for a few weeks so I borrowed the 31 and took it to Jasper Ont to the wrecking yard there, that had a 30 614 and fenders were like new. The right front on the 31 was damaged and we had removed it before he went away. I thought why not surprise him with another fender. Half way there out in no wheres land this thing just quit. Now what ? Seldom used road and no houses for miles. Tried a couple of times but no go. Thought I'd be there for days before anyone came along but they would have no idea anyway what to look for, and I didn't fancy leaving his car with no one to watch it. Walked around the car a few times muttering and sat on the running board about 15 min, and more walking. Thought lets try it once more and up she fired. Whew .. Got to the yard and the owner cut the bolts off the 30 fender. Kenny was good that way and would help you take parts off cars, no extra charge. I stuffed it in the back seat with the end of the fender sticking out the rear passenger window like an airplane wing. Drove it back to middle of Ottawa that way. Try to do that now with no front fender and replacement sticking out sideways to mow anyone down that was in the way. Provincial and City police would be all over you.
Three owners later the car still has that fender on it. I believe the orig fender was damaged when the 1st owner had a heart attack and died, driving the car up at Black Donald Mines, where he lived. That is now under Centennial Lake when they flooded the town and area for a power dam. The Ford T must still be in front of the submerged church, I took the brass gas cap off of. The statues I'm told are still above the alter, under the Lake.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club