Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Yes I know it's not even Christmas yet, but I wanted to start everyone thinking about where the ECC is going to have their spring meet this year in April. And we are only talking about 6 months away. So let me hear some suggestions on where you would like it. Remember we don't need to head to the Michigan area since our 2012 DMAC National Meet will be held there this year. Upstate New York maybe? Kentucky?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

how about an area without alot of hills and mountains...easier driving and towing....just a thought...also more north - south- centered...more members involved?????

Where Are You From? plmouth meeting, penna...southeastern pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 coupe and sedan, 1925 star model F

I am president of Lansing Community College in Lansing Michigan. Our college adjoins Durant Park in the middle of Lansing. Our college is large. We would like to host an event or events connected with the cars made by Billy Durant. We have much to offer. I am an old car guy, a Ford guy in my personal life. However, in my work life I would like to do whatever I might to host event(s), maybe one large event, involving cars made under Mr. Durant. Mr. Durant mfr. some of his cars in Lansing. We have facilities of all kinds at the college with many who would be helpful in organizing and hosting.

Where Are You From? Lansing Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Charleston, SC is nice and a ton of things to see and do. Also, some extremely nice drives thru moss draped trees in the old plantation areas.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

does anyone have any insight into the Lansing area offer????

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 coupe and sedan, 1925 star model F

I have been to Lansing. Nice area. The one comment that I would make is do you want to go to Michigan twice in 2012? Keeping in mind that the DMAC will be in MI in Sept.

Peg and I have been to car shows in Charleston, SC. A lot of history, the Low Country Cuisine is fantastic. I would suggest however that what ever hotel is use that it is outside of the city. Parking in the city of Charleston is very limited for trailers.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

YOU ARE ON THE MARK AS USUAL, COMMANDER. TWICE IS TOO MUCH. SC SOUNDS NICE AND IS CENTRAL TO EAST COAST, SORT OF....I AM CHANGING HORSES....AND JOINING YOUR OPINION FORCE. HAPPY HOLIDAY TO ALL...REGARDS, GARY K

I've been to Charleston many times, one of my favorite cities. If no other suggestions come in in the next month or so, I will look at that. I know of several areas just North of town in North Charleston near Patriots Point that have sufficient trailer parking. Can arrange a couple of driving tours and maybe a very special tour for Saturday. Keep you ideas coming.

Mike

Charleston is a great choice. As you know, the streets in downtown Charleston are challenging for modern cars, and will present challenges for both driving and parking our Durant's. A boat trip to Fort Sumner would be nice, but I would leave the "cars" at the hotel if this is done. There are also naval ships in Mt. Pleasant including the USS Yorktown, a submarine, a Coast Guard Cutter and a couple of other vessels. While there are a lot of very good restaurants in the region, I am not aware of one that is capable of providing a "banquet" for 35-50 people, but that does not mean one does not exist, just means that when I am in Charleston I am with a group of 4-8 people, and for that I have a list of places to dine that we like.

just some thoughts, charlie

Looking forward to the next Spring Meet Tom & Karen

Where Are You From? PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Mike

Has a date for the East Coast Chapter meet been chosen?

thanks

charlie

Hey Charlie
No we have not set a date yet, but we usually pick a time from the middle of April to the end. If we do go to Charleston SC this year we could have it earlier as the weather is much more agreeable down here in Dixie. I can start working on that next week to see what we can get as far as hotel with parking etc. Will start making some calls.

Mike

I've contacted the Charleston Visitors Bureau and have a gal working there to help us out. Looks like its going to be a go for the Charleston, South Carolina DMAC Eastern Spring Meet. I have not locked in dates yet, but should have that in a week or two. Working on tour routes and things to see and do. Even if you don't want to haul your car that far South, you can still attend. Charleston is a great place to visit and lots of great things to do. We should all have some fun.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Doris and I plan to be there. Look for me in my new high powered scooter. WOW...

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

Looks like the dates of April 19th 2012 through April 22, 2012 seems like the best time. An alternate date would be April 26th through April 29th. That way we will not conflict with Easter, Passover or the dreaded tax time. I'm shooting for April 19th thru 22nd. I've emailed the visitor's bureau to see if that is a problem with any other major events happening during that time frame. Wouldn't want the traffic or the restaurants to be full. So start marking your calenders for that time frame. I'm hoping to put a good event together for everyone. If you have not been to Charleston, it is a great historical city with lots to do, great restaurants and great atmosphere.

Yates: Hope that scooter has a Durant emblem on it somewhere!

Where Are You From? s. Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? many :)

Hi Carol,
You bet ya!! Will have one with your latest design and one that Gary made way back when he was teaching Industrial Arts or whatever.. Will let Mike drop the starting flag for the race between Gary and I down the main street of Charleston. Since I have COPD I hope Doris want forget to pack my inhaler.
Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 23 Durant Touring

Hi Mike, Do you have the exact date yet?

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928Durant

Bill plan on April 19th through the 22nd. Don't have a hotel locked in yet, working on it right now. Will post as soon as I get it locked in.

Although we don't usually have registration for the East Coast Chapter meets, can I get an idea of how many might attend and if they will be bringing a car. So I can find a hotel with ample vehicle & Trailer parking and possibly arrange some tours and parking.

I am very interested in attending and may bring some parts to trade and dicker with.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Mike: If the dates are 4/19-22 Peg and I are planning on flying in on Thursday. Therefore no car.

Was wondering if there is any more information available for the Spring Meet. Would like to make arrangements for the trip. Thanks Karen

Where Are You From? Pa

that goes for me too...gary k

I had an email from Mike last week. He is in contact with the Charleston C of C, and is working on hotels that are outside of the downtown Charleston. Trailer parking and maneuvering is well, non-existent so hotels outside of the city are important. I know that Mike is looking at places to visit. Hopefully, we will know soon what is happening

Hello Karen, Gary and Charlie.
I've been working on this steadily and as soon as I can get all the price bids for our event from the hotels and also choose a hotel that is rated well and in a safe location for all of us Durantonians,I will let everyone know. I have chosen the dates of April 19th through the 22nd for the event. Like Charlie said for those of you who have never been to Charleston, you can't get anything downtown for several reasons. One they all run $150 plus a night and there is no parking for trailers. Many of the streets were laid out in the 1700's so they are narrow and hard to get around. So I have to look outside of town near the airport or near an area that is just North of the city. I have received several offers so far, some not at all in the request price range, and I will try to lock it down by mid week. So keep watching this post and I'll post it when I have it.

Spring meet will be April 19th through the April 22, 2012. I will have the host hotel locked in by Wednesday, still negotiating hard. I will post the information then. So far here is what I plan for us to do.

Thursday --- Check In

Friday----- Private tour of the Lasch Conservatory and the recovered Civil War Submarine the Hunley. (Even if your not a history buff, this is very interesting. this is the first record of a submarine sinking another ship. The crew and the submarine disappeared only to be found in the 1990's. The sub was raised and recovery of remains and conservations of the Submarine began. Tour includes the history, the submarine and artifacts recovered as well as facial reconstruction of the crew and their history.

Saturday---- 90 minute bus tour of Charleston's Historic sites. (This way you can see the city via guided tour and decide if you want to go back to anything in the afternoon.

Saturday night ---- Brief meeting and get together

There is the possibility of a afternoon tour to other sites but will have more on that later and depending on what members attending want. I will post prices later this week.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Sounds good Mike will be watching for the hotel info. Looking forward to the trip. Tom & Karen

Where Are You From? Pa

Just made airline reservations and car rental, looking forward to another great Durant meet!

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928Durant

Mike

please confirm that nothing is scheduled for Thursday. Makes a difference for Peg and I as to which flight we take to CHS. Also, we have several restaurants that we like in Charleston that we can share with the group, just let me know, and I can send them to you to make a list.

Anyone staying longer than just the meet days, a trip to Fort Sumtner is worth the time.

Charlie
Thursday April 19th is for arrival, nothing is planned for that day. Hospitality room will be open after 06:00, maybe sooner if I can get the hotel to work with me. Will post hotel information by Wednesday night. Is anyone bringing a car? Let me know if you are, and I will plan a tour route suitable for our cars to someplace.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Gary

thanks for the update. we will be there sometime on Thursday, and probably staying at least until Monday.

see you in charleston.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club