Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flint Tie Rod

We are working on a 1924 Flint E55 that has no adjustments on the tie rod to change the toe-in.
We have 1/2" toe out and want to change to 1/8" toe-in.
Hate to cut and slash the existing tie rod, what am I missing??
Thank You

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 663

Re: Flint Tie Rod

For starters, post some photos of several views of your front end setup. Do you know if the front end is factory original? We might be able to help you out in ways to get the adjustment you want to attain.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Dave it you have the club directory, give Jim Greenamyer a call. He certainly does know the Fling and is restoring his own. He's our expert on Flints!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Dave... I'm not sure what your toe-in problem is
with your Flint, but according to my parts book the E55 model used 2 different front axles.

The 1st axle(#11844 E55 without frt brakes)used a
tie rod(#11049) that had ball seats(like the drag link) on each end and was non- adjustable.

The 2nd axle(#14826 E55 with mechanical brakes) used a different tie rod(#14913) that had tie rod sockets on each end and they were both adjustable.

These axles also used different king pins.
Hope this is helpful. Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Flint

Thank You for the replies.
Jim, we have the axle without front brakes and found the steering arm was rotating in the spindle on the left side, we repaired that and it solved the toe-in issue. I have been helping Dick Krause get his dads cars in shape and know you and Bob Krause had discussed his Flint in the past. Thank you for the help.

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D63 4 door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club