Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
clutch pad thicknest

Does any one know how thick the clutch pads are on '28-'29 Durant's with W5 motors?

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Re: clutch pad thickness

i would guess .125 or 1/8th inch...does anyone know better??

just a guess, as i have not seen brakeshoes yet on my durants...i just got them.

Where Are You From? plmouth meeting, penna...southeastern pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 coupe and sedan, 1925 star model F

hey...forget that answer...i was thinking about brake linings....sorry.....

Where Are You From? plmouth meeting, penna...southeastern pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 coupe and sedan, 1925 star model F

Poor old Unc Gary ... another senior moment. We both seem to get them more often now.

Frank might have an idea as he was selling clutch linings at one time. Just checked the set I got from Frank and 1/8 inch thick for the 30 - 32 614.
Catalogue says mine fit E, 407, 611, 612, 614, 618, 619, 633, 670 and 685.

Looks like all pre 1930 linings Star and Durant use same ones. Mumbles something about 8 friction sectors with rivits, 90 cents. So four pieces per side.

The post 29 is set of two full linings for $1.10 and we have to buy our rivets set of 24 seperately for 25 cents.

Wonder if the pre 30 might be same thickness of 1/8 inch as well.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hi
Reactivating this rather old Forum string of comments, I am restoring a 1928 Rugby M2 4 door sedan. I've had the clutch plate relined with new pads. Rather than the 4 segments on each side of the steel plate, I've ended up with a single circular pad on each side. In my case, these pads are 3.8mm thick vs 3.2mm (1/8 inch) in this discussion string.

To cut a long story short, my clutch will not disengage. The thrust bearing is fine, so that's not the problem. Even though my pads are a bit thicker than recommended, I would have thought I could adjust my way out of trouble, but so far no luck. My engine has sat around for several years, so the surfaces of the flywheel and the friction plate are a bit rough.

Should I get my 3.8mm thick pads ground down to 1/8 inch? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Duncan

Interesting.... How about simply installing pressure plate to flywheel shim washers to make the difference? Might be something to look into.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Thanks Bill. Interesting suggestion.

In the end, I took my clutch and flywheel back to my clutch mechanic an hour's drive away and he is setting it up for me again. The clutch pads are slightly thicker than 1/8 inch each side of the plate but he thinks that won't be an issue.

I actually wonder if the problem was that the clutch was installed (by me) about 2 years ago and has been engaged since (while I concentrated on other things), thereby making the clutch pads stick to the flywheel. In my ignorance, I adjusted the bolts on the 3 clutch levers and stuffed up the settings.

Here's hoping that the whole thing will work properly when I reinstall it again

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club