Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking For Info.

I know this is not Durant related but really need information on the 1939 Cadillac Series 6119f or just plain 6119. The AACA Library had nothing and I talked to GM Archives and they had nothing on the 6119f. The 6119f had a division or partition between the front and rear seats like a chauffeur driven car. This was the cheaper version and only 30 were manufactured.
Anyone have a picture or knowledge of the 39 Cadillac?
Like a fool I bought the 39 completely disassembled and still have two others I have not finished.

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks ,NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

Re: Looking For Info.

Yates,
I feel your pain as I found locally a rough 1937 (Cadillac) LaSalle touring sedan (with sidemounts!)and have found very little info on, or interest in it.

I have several reference books on Cadillac, and
from what I have found your Cadillac 39-6119F is very unique and was part of the one year only 61 Series on a one year only 126" inch wheelbase, in the 5 pass sedan model group.

The 1939 Cadillac 61 Series replaced the, 1938 60 and 65 series models. then the 61 series was dropped for 1940 as part of the (1940) 60 series which was now on a 127" inch wheelbase.

The 1939 Cadillac's came with a unique one year only (1939) grille treatment (Pointed, fine pitch grille, flow-through catwalks diecast also with Fine pitch bars). The 61 series car appears to be a transition model from the older 1938 styling to the newer 1940 styling (especially in the sedan only 1939 Sixty Special, 60 Series models). "Note": 1940 was last year for Cadillac Sidemounts!

My references show the 61 Series at 207.25" overall length Fr/Rr 58"/59" tread width, 7.00" x 16" tires.
For 1939 Chassis changes; Tube & Fin Radiator core, Sea Shell horns under hood, 10mm Spark plugs, Cross-link steering on 61 Series and Slotted disc wheels on the 60S and 61 series cars.

This model introduced in October 1938, and a total of only 5913 cars produced in the 61 series for 1939 with 6 models; Cpe 2Pass., Conv Cpe 2Pass. Conv Sedan 5Pass, and your Sedans; Tr (touring)Sedan 5Pass (39-6119), Tr Sedan (STT) "Sunshine Turrent Top" (i.e. sunroof) 5Pass (39-6119-A) and Tr Sedan (center Division)5Pass (39-6119-F)your model. These were part of the B-O-P style(Buick,Olds,Pontiac)shared styling group and quickly was changed (1940) after public taste asked for more fluid(less static)lines.

The 61 Series was available with or without running boards (like Sixty Special; 60S models) and had concealed door hinges except for lower front hinge and had chrome reveals on all windows. Options included Radio, Heater, Seat Covers, Spotlight, Windshield Washer, Automatic Battery filler, or Fog lights.

Hope this helps you! Sorry could not find a picture of the 61-6119 model in all my books, still looking!

Nearest Pictures are on Page 259 in "Cadillac, (standard of the world), The Complete Seventy-Year History", Maurice D. Hendry,Automobile Quartley Library Series,Distribution by E. P. Dutton & Co. and Copyright 1973 by Princeton Publishers, Library of Congress Card Number 72-85846, SBN 0-525-10650-2.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Yates,
Speaking again of Cadillac's, Sunday afternoon while taking the mother-in-law for a drive in the country north of here we went by that rough 1937 (Cadillac) LaSalle touring sedan (with sidemounts!)I mentioned to you. Well it's still sitting by the side of the road with a big "$3400" price(Ouch!)white painted on it's windshield. Next to it also in the grass is a similar condition (rusty) 1936 Olds 8 Cyl touring 4 Dr sedan for $6400!!(Double Ouch!) on its windshield. Both cars are complete but rusty and very run down.

I don't know what drugs this guy is on but boy could I sure use some of that! They have been in the same spot for 5 to 10 years! And still not sold or getting any better, go figure. Kind of sad actually that they could not be saved way sooner..he must have seen the Barret Jackson's car auction circus of a few years back!

Same subject different car: a fellow in town has a 1964 Plymouth Fury black bucket seat convertible with a 426S Wedge eng, 4 Spd, All numbers matching with title. This is a very desirable high performance muscle car that has been sitting next to his shop for over 15 years outside uncovered! He has turned down $25K for it (NOT by me!) in the past.

Five years ago he was cautioned about a tree falling on it so he cut the Big limb hanging over it...you guessed it...,he dropped a 8" inch branch through the windshield! Oh Yeah the top is long gone, also the floors, and a lot of the lower body now! He still will not sell for even a large amount of money. Again sad; as he will not even move it inside or cover it, but feels it is worth "big money".

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Lance
Unfortunetly you see this quite often. I just don't understand it. People hold on to an item and just won't budge on the price. They end up passing on and it either is sold dirt cheap or goes to the scrap yard by the guys heirs. I guess I have a different attitude on this, mine is I'd rather take a bit less and let it get back into the flow where someone will restore it and see it run again than hold it hoping for a fortune to fund retirement. How many cars have been lost to time and rust that way. I know it's theirs to do what they want to with, but it sure seems sad to see these cars lost.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Mike ,
you are right! Both of the old 4Dr sedans (37 LaSalle & 36 Olds) are in the $600 dollar range, maybe more from a sympathetic hobbist? However neither of these has the interest or club support like in our Durant club for our makes/models.

As for the 1964 Plymouth Fury Mopar muscle car convertible, that really is a Sad case since this is a "Blue Chip" milestone collector car. It is a highly desirable car from several car collector standpoints (426 Street Wedge eng., Conv., Mopar high performance, great options; 4Spd & bucket seats, Good color scheme; "Triple Black", 60's muscle car, etc.)! But it is debatable that it now could be saved for any reasonable amount of money even if you got it cheap for $5K to $10K. Really too bad as you say.

So likewise myself, I am trying to sell some of my excess but with the down economy it's hard to even give them away...No takers! I had a kid today at work turn down a 71 Mach-I Mustang fastback roller(rought, but mostly complete, W/O eng or Trans) that I wanted just $1000 for, or with a 460 Ford engine & trans included at $1300! He said he wanted me to install the eng. have the car running and drivable for maybe half that. And Oh yeah; "if I found a real 71 Mustang 429 Super Cobra Jet for under $2000 to call him", sure Ha,Ha!!

I think we are moving into a real problem disposing of our old cars in the next 10 to 20 years. No interest and/or No money or space from the next Gens.!

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Hi Lance and Mike,
Thanks for the input. You should see the prices of some of the junk on Craigslist in this area.
Wish I could have made it to the Annual Meet in BC.
Know of any of our members that are going to Hershey in October.
Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23Durant A22 Touring

Yates,
You're welcome! Yes a lot of the car prices are way too high here also, but sometimes prices are too, too Low (makes you suspicious?). But I have some friends selling good used furniture and you can't get a "solid Nickel" out of that! Go figure;...and they want "Free delivery" after they beat you up and knock you down to nothing, ha,ha?

Is Hershey comming up in less than a Month already this year?? I will Still be working on my Loco and other projects I guess. I'm resolved to work on 3 cars at once now to make any headway this year ha,ha!

Where does all the time go?
Lance C.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club