Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Freshly Rescued Dealer Sign for the New DMAC Museum

OK guys n gals, as soon as the rest of ya'll get the Museum built I have the perfect entry sign for the front door!!!!
I've never seen one like this before and it may be rare. It was rescued from Billings, OK. Billings is 75 miles North of OK City on the West side of I-35 and in the heart of plains farm country. Billings is just a hiccup from becoming a ghost town.
This sign measures 4' tall, 9 1/2'long, and about a foot thick. It originally had glass fastened on the inside covering the letters and a glass Star logo in the center circle. It is fitted internally with numerous lamp sockets to provide for electric lighting. Judging from the motto I think it must date 1922-23 C model Stars since the motto starting with the model F's was "Improved Star Four"
This sign is rough but is a great pattern to build an authentic replica.
This sign now belongs to the DMAC origination and I would really like your input on this. Anything you know about this type of sign please let me know. I need all the info I can get for a story in the club magazine.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Re: Freshly Rescued Dealer Sign for the New DMAC Museum

hi don
my friend has a star /durant sign identical but not thick and not lite durant on one side star on the other ,i will send you a pic of it .
brian

Where Are You From? victoria bc can.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star model r

Hi Don.......

THANK YOU for making the road trip and saving this piece of Durant history.

When I talked to the owner he said it was large. I guess everything is BIGGER in Texas & Oklahoma!

Thank you Mr Will Moon for donating this sign to the DMAC.

Dave Schulte was building a replica of one of these signs.

Very nice addition to the DMAC museum collection.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Don
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for taking the time and making the trip to pick this up. What a rare find for sure and a great addition to our Museum Collection. Once we get it restored it will look great. Like our cars they look rough at first, but a good restoration will make it look new again. WOW. Now when was the last time you saw one of these. Go DMAC!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Actually I'm restoring a similar sign. I have contacted Don to share what information I have.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi All...

Dave Schulte sent me the following old pictures.

One is the aftermath of a flood in Vermont the other is in an unknown location.

Maybe Ken McCormick can identify it from the moose in the picture!

Enjoy.......Frank ---

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Thanks to all for this find. Thanks Frank, Don and Will Moon. This no doubt is the greatest find since the start of the DMAC. Hope all in the Northeast escaped Irene with minimal problems.

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks ,NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

Frank
I cant be sure but I think that moose must be an American moose-- Antlers are too small to be one of ours
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club