Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need New valve Springs

After having the engine rebuilt, the new higher compression is to much for the old valve springs. Looking as to where I can acquire new ones or at least the Out side dimensions, and the installation height of new ones. For A-22 engine.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 DurantA22

Re: Need New valve Springs

Ken, here's are a couple of sources you can try.

http://northwesternautosupply.com

http://www.vapinc.com/

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Thanks Don for the tip, of Vintage auto Parts.
they had the valve Springs that I needed.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A2

Ken: Are you sure the valve springs are an issue?
How is the engine running? I would suggest checking valve clearances and verify correct cylinder compression.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Ken, Have someone check the compression rate of the springs. Durant cams do not take well to high tension springs. Remember the lifter is just a rounded over rod pushing down with the spring tension. I had someone put a set in a motor once which was way, way too high. Boy would it have killed the cam. I think I used a set of early 8 cyl. Nash springs,

Lew

Where Are You From? Westminster, MD

Lewis, your observation raises some interesting questions.If one were to measure the compression of the valve springs, what value would you expect to find?
What are the limits of valve spring compression for the Durant camshafts?
I have never heard of such limitations on these cams. Where do you obtain your information on this?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Hi Don, unfortunately it has been more than 30 years since we put the springs into the car. I don't remember what the specs were and don't thin k I wrote them down. However, I would think that the specs would be available in any old motors type manual. or, maybe you could cross reference in a Hollanders type book to a known item;. Also, has anyone tried Egge?

Where Are You From? Westminster, MD

The Durant Motors Automobile Club