Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Idle speed

Billy C. must be smiling upon me and my garage because I have made some good progress with the fleet lately. The Durant is running better than ever.

Is there a recommended speed to set the idle? After adjusting the valves and fiddling with the mixture it is running at 700 rpm with no adjustment to the idle speed. It runs nicely, but seems pretty fast.

It is the Durant M2 with the Continental 4, but has a model A carb on it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? How could I not!

Re: Idle speed

Justin, I like 600rpm give or take a little.

Thank you Rick. I have it set at 600 and it is running nicely and dependably with out any stall or stutter. the timing seems to be a bit before TDC so I will have to make sure it is not too advanced for real driving. When I adjust it towards TDC it doesn't run as nicely. I thought TDC was the suggested setting, but a lot has changed since 1928.

I hope all is well for everyone on the road in their Durants.
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? How could I not!

Justin:
As for the timing, your engine is timed correctly using the pointer set at 4 teeth on the flywheel before the TDC(Top Dead Center)mark.

Where Are You From? Hyattsvlle Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club