Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In need of a Transmisson

I am in need of a transmission for my 619. Right now the transmission howls in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd is fine. I need either a complete transmission ready to install or the first and second gear cluster in good condition.

I haven’t seen a good set of gears for this car, so I don't know what they should look like. The picture below is of mine and ahile it doesn't look that bad, it's loud enough to dogs bark and babies cry.

I am told that the transmission from a 614 will fit the 619.

Rick

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619

Re: In need of a Transmisson

Have you tried replacing the bearings and bushings? That transmission looks pretty good, are the gear faces pitted?

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63

Dave,

Up shifting feels clunky so I assume the bearings will need to be replaced. Do you think all that noise is coming from the bearings?

Rick

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619

I had a lot of whine and it jumped out of second gear, replacing the pilot bearing, front and rear ball bearings and all of the bushings cured the whine and jumping out of gear. My first attempt at rebuilding my differential resulted in some fine tunes and howling on deceleration but readjustment cured that also

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63

Rick:
When you take to transmission apart, the shafts may also be worn badly. They should be replaced as well as the bushings and bearings. This will probably take out most of the noise. I have some gears, but most of the Frontenac ones are helical cut where yours are straight cut. I had to get the idler set of gears (3) remade several years ago.
You should be able to buy the bearings, but you will have to have the bushings made up.
Let me know your progress.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

I have rebuilt three trans and replacing the bearings is no problem but "if" the main shaft is two peace check for sag in the bushings I machine down the shaft till it is smooth then turn a brass bushing to fit but you will still have a whine because the gears are worn just add a can of STP oil treatment

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

So from the sound of it, my current tranny may be repairable. That is very good news. I have never seen a good set of gears, so I have nothing to compare the ones in my transmission against. Any tips as to what to look for in that area?

Rick, Looking at the picture you posted it almost looks like your 2-3 slider gear has some pitting or fracking which is usually caused from running dry on lubericant,look at it more closely and see if this is the case...Also see if you get any slack or rock on your two sliding gears which would indicate a worn splind shaft and or worn drive splines in the gears...Gears are case hardened and in most cases a gear with little wear may still have machine markings on its face...Before you dissisemble the trans you might take a small pry bar and see if you get any side movement on either shaft, this may give an indication of how worn the bearings are or if your noise is from loose bearings...Third gear basicly locks up the input and output shafts and will not make noise like first and second...Just a couple thoughts...Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 / '29 model 40 / '25 Flint H-40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club