Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bendix Spring

For all sorts of reasons yesterday was to be the first time in 2 years that my beloved Durant would leave the garage but I didn't make it. The starter spring gave u on me. It was very thoughtful of the car to break in the garage and not while I was tootling about.

My question is what direction should the spring be wound in? I have read earlier posts that led me to Model A and T springs but they look to wind in the opposite direction. But who knows if the part I had was the correct part to start with; that one seem bigger/wider than what the shaft would require. Ones sold on eBay that claim to be for '28 Durants are wound the opposite way too.

If I look at the broken one with the ends on the top and the coils running perpendicular to my body, then the end that is on the right resembles a slightly incomplete lowercase letter b. Ones I have seen for 1928 Durants are reversed with that end looking more like a lowercase letter p.

As usual any info and advice is greatly appreciated.
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Re: Bendix Spring

Check your local parts store; they seem to be a universal fit.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

What Jack, you don't have anymore left?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Justin it's good to see you back on the forum.
I think I have an extra spring, I believe your Durant used the same part as mine.

I’ll check and get back to you.

Rick

Hello Rick,
Glad you chimed in here. I hope all is well and good with you.

If you do have a spare you should hold onto it; take a picture or just describe it to me so I can get an idea of which direction the spring coils and loops at the end. I found this pic on line:

https://mail.pathstone.org/owa/attachment.ashx?id=RgAAAABgv%2f5kvh7yS4BT1NSWHHgIBwA%2fycO8URHXRoI6iZbJ5jGRAAABoaG9AADV48bmYYwpSYafdaFZMTdGAAEUXKUsAAAJ&attcnt=1&attid0=EACXfr5ttMZ4S61CohiEDmPW

If you copy and paste the link you 'll get a good idea of what I am working with.

Thank you again,
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club