Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A22 - auto-lite generator adjustment

OK, I've been playing with my freshly rebuilt long enough that I am starting to doubt my memory on how to adjust the output. Does anyone any assistance that can give before I throw up my hands in failure. I have done this a million times, just not recently. HELP I know you adjust the 3rd brush on this little square generator, but I can't recall which way increases the output. Right now it shows only about 2 amps. It has been checked out by 2 shops after it was rebuilt and they get it to develop current. However the rotation of a modern testing machine is way faster than my little Durant motor spins it. I am assuming that the third brush adjustment is the problem

Where Are You From? Westminster, MD 21157

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep, 1922 A-22 Touring

Re: A22 - auto-lite generator adjustment

Hi Lewis....

From an old AES chart for the A-22

"To increase the charge rate shift the third brush in the direction of armature rotation (counter clockwise).

The maximum charge rate of 16 amps is reached at 2400 RPM of the generator armature or 31.5 MPH car speed in high gear."

If you would like a copy of the entire chart I can mail you a copy........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Frank I would like a copy. Just had my armature rewound by International winding, inc. out of Chicago sent it on WED. they email it was done on the following Tuesday even over the holiday for $125 am i HAPPY

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Frank, I would be very happy to receive a copy of the spec's Please accept my appreciation and thanks

Lew

Where Are You From? Westminster, MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep!

Well, the adjustment methods used were to no avail. Thanks for all the help/Now I get to go and politely explain to the re-builder that he goofed.....wish me luck

Lew

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Well, that conversation went nowhere! Does anyone know a good shop that can re-build my square Auto-lite generator? Thanks

Lew

Where Are You From? Westminster, Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep 1922 A-22 Touring

Lewes
I personally have not used this guy, but many on the AACA forum say he does excellent work. You can go to his web site and check some of it out. Restores them back to new condition.

Jason Smith
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
16574 S. Bauer Rd
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
www.aerrebuild.com
toll-free: 1-866-228-0218

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Thanks Mike, I checked out their site, looks good to me. I'll give them a call and keep you posted

Lew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep, A-22 Touring

Spoke to Jason Smith, Advanced Electrical Rebuilders. Seems like a nice guy. I sent off my Auto-Lite generator to him for restoration. Hopefully, he will have a better performance than the last rebuilder. I'll keep you posted

Lew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep, 1922 A-22

OK, the saga continues. I boxed off the generator and sent it to Advanced Electrical. Jason there is a real nice guy who seems to know what he is doing.

The problem is that the front plate of the generator broke during transit. OUCH!!

Anyone have a spare they would part with

Lew

OK, I got my generator back from Jason Smith... it is ... in a word BEAUTIFUL. I wanted to get it installed before I posted a comment. He did a great job cosmetically restoring it. He re-insulated the wires, armature and fields/ Installed new bearings and brushes, tested it all out and all works great. He also recommended an electronic cut-out. I bought i, installed it and everything works great. Now I'll tell you it wasn't cheep but it was well worth the money. If you need an odd-ball generator rebuilt, give him a try. A bit slow but quality work takes time.

His work is so nice, I sent him the first one I had rebuilt by the local shop to see if he can sort it out. Waiting for the return to see how that goes.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club