Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rain ledge over the doors

Dont know if that is the proper name --but I need pictures or something to show what it looks like. I believe there should be some kind of a trough to run the rain water away from the door so it doesnt drip down your neck when you get in or out of the car.
Can anyone help? I think I can build one if I know what it looks like.
Thanks
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Rain ledge over the doors

Hi Ken.....

I'm missing them on my coupe also.

I'm going to use these from MAC'S. Part number RG-1 for 45inches or RG-2 for 90 inches.

These are a two part aluminum and can be bent for curves. Should be available from any Model A Ford supplier.....

Frank ---

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Something looks backwards in the drawing. My original rain gutters had the nail "hide strip" on the outside, in the drawing it looks like it's on the side that would be against the wood framing of the roof..That hide strip is usually tweaked and is so thin it's almost impossible to straighten, so new parts are better(especially if you don't have anything) Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 coupe

Lebaron Bonney also carries the two part gutters...A word of caution, they can be difficult to install, they also mention this in their instructions..The problem we had is that the back piece become wavy when fastened and will make in near impossiable to snap the gutter on, we gave up and installed only the gutter portion using a small finish nailer, the results were a little less than desireable...Wondering if anyone has used the solid aluminum type that Restoration Supply carries (I would emagine that they may twist when bent?)

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Durant Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

I would guess the strip that the gutter snaps onto, must be cut into short pieces and used intermittently. I'm not sure how you make a seal that is vintage, except with some sort of packing like for wooden boats. Or some modern plastic sealer. My original strips were formed from sheet metal and held to the upper body with tacks or nails. Maybe some roofing tar in between.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

It could be that the two part gutters may install better on cars that the topping material doesn't run over the edge of the roof where you would have a hard flat surface to tack that fragil aluminum backing strip on...In our case the gutter was installed over the topping material to conceal the tack line, we even trimed back the dacron topping pad to stop just above where the backing strip and gutter was to be installed but to no avail, the strip would sink into the topping material and become wavy making it impossiable to snap the gutter on...Not sure what the answer is.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Durant Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

l agree with Bill. They are impossible to use those new aluminum 2 piece gutters. We ruined a couple sets and wadded them up and threw them away.
We use the hidem welt over the seam . Course it never rains in southern California so no problem so we don't need a gutter.
Have fun.
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? San diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

I finally bit the bullet and made my own. Had a piece of metal trim used for mounting plywood on a wall and cut it the right length 0 screwed it to the body and bondoed over the screws after grinding them down. lots of work but I am pleased with the end result. Painted over the repair today and it looks pretty good. Now if I could do something like that for my rumble seat back rest-- Hmmmmm have to think hard on that.
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club