Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1926 star coupster

i have a 1926 star coupster never been touched!Parked in 1950 running.Needs paint new leather on top but everything is there trying to find out what its worth

Where Are You From? haltom city tx

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: 1926 star coupster

Post pic's

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Haltom City TX

Can anyone tell me what this is worth as is and restored?

Where Are You From? texas

What you are asking for requires a lot more information. Current value depends on a thorough inspection and "restored value" depends on one's definition of "restored".
Personally, and with previous experience with other projects, and without more detailed info, I would value this car at between 900.00 and 1200.00.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Does the motor turn over? Do you have the fan assemby, water pump conection, truck lid?
I will give you $1000 "as is" I just got my motor back from "THE EGGE CO" to the tune of $3000+

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Yes motor turns over i have everything except trunk lid and water pump connection.Think i will restore the car.I would like to know how many 26 coupsters are still around?

Congratulations for the car .... is a relic. One question: what model carb have.?

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Rugby 1928

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting the pics of your Coupster...You can find much info about your car by going to the links page on the left, than on durantcars.com, there are also a few members that have their Coupsters pictured in our photographs page...I find your Star has an interesting location for the gas tank, possiably the trunk deck was removed for accessability?...Anyway, you should join this great club if you haven't already done so and get going on that restoration...Or if you do decide to sell it may be helpful to leave your contact information.
Thanks, Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Durant Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

Bill, Good Catch on the fuel tank!!!! I flat missed that detail and there's probably a good story behind it.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Not sure about tank.But the original owner said he took deck lid off so he could get more gas stamps cause without lid its a truck.Do you know how many 26 coupsters there are!And why they are not worth much pretty much goes against everything i ever learned about rare cars.

not sure i will look

the term "rare cars" doesn't apply to durants, stars and many other "orphans" of the 1920's and 30's. they all were made for only a few or more years. being rare is only a product of how many are known to be out there but we have learned that there are many more hidden in barns and fields than meets the eye. i have a rarer than most 1931 6-14 4 door sedan "blind window coach. since mine was found...and i never saw one 'til i found that one, almost 6 or more have turned up....in fact i just brought home a second one yesterday....now i have had durants since 1968 or so when i started the first durant-star club....it seems they keep on showing up...even the rare ones....how many model f roadsters are out there...my 1925 was one of a handfull (that's usually 5)...but i'll bet we have a dozen in our club hands or hidden away by the people who write to our website..also, that first 1929 model 70 which was never produced we were told...was followed by 3-4 more....rare is just a word....and as you will also find, the value is dependent on so many factors that the rarer it is, the fewer parts are available which means the more costly the restoration and therefore....the less people want to pay for the "rusty old hulk"...
so....the value is usually what the guy standing in front of you with " cash in his hand"
wants to pay ! Anybody disagree??????

Where Are You From? PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH ; 1925 STAR F ROADSTER

Thanks for the info!I am very excited to rebuild car!Its worth a million bucks to me!Sounds like this is the place to get help while i am restoring it.Sure i will have lots of questions.Thanks again.

Gary......

VERY WELL SAID !!!

Best comment I have read about "rare" cars. Just about all Durant products qualify as rare cars. None of them are extremely valuable.

The people who collect our cars do it for the love of the cars and enjoyment of other like minded folks. If you are looking at these cars as investments, consider what your enjoyment is worth. That is the best return on your investment.

Most of the other cars in mine & Cathy's collection are worth more than our Star & Durant cars. None of them are rarer than the Durant products.

Gary's statement about "cash in hand" is really the true value of anything.

Most cars cost far more to restore than they will be worth. Enjoy them for what they are, a neat piece of history.

If you take a Durant product to just about any show, you will have the only one there!

Just my 2 cents worth.......

See y'all in Kalamazoo & Vancouver!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

I have a 25 Model F touring. The carb. that came on it looks like yours and was made of bronze. It doesn't match the one specified in the owner's manual so I thought it wasn't original. Perhaps it is.

Some advice from experience: put a loop in the vacuum line from the manifold to the vacuum fuel tank. Likewise for the feed from the tank to the carb. Vibration caused my vacuum line to split and left me stranded on a freeway.

Also, have Franz rebuild your fan hub with a roller bearing. The bronze bushing often froze. At a minimum, it threw oil all over the place.

Finally, join the club, it will save you a lot of time, etc. It's the best car club I belong to.

Where Are You From? Just North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I agree with you both Frank and unc Gary.

Think I mentioned before, Old Auto's did a write up on value of cars a couple of years back. Then and twenty years ago and mentioned orphan cars as not of any great value. As it happened they had a pic of a 1932 fully restored "rare" 618 Durant sedan with all the goodies, side mounts and trunk on the back, and it was worth $14,000 then and twenty years ago.

Fellow outside Ottawa had his 29 Reo sedan restored a few years ago, at a cost of $52,000 + which he will never recoup upon resale. Its the love of vintage vehicles, how much you want to spend with orphan cars.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

HELLO NEPHEW NORMIE...GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU...HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH ALL THREE OF YOU...MRS, MR. AND DOT6-14.....I HAVE ANOTHER 6-14 COACH TODAY....BACK TO 3 DURANT CARS....OH WELL ...IT'S WHAT WE DO...REGARDS, GARYK

Where Are You From? PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH ; 1925 STAR F ROADSTER

Hi Unc Gary .... No all is not well with the 3 of us. Haven't even bothered to check if Dot is still in her shed. Diana is still in hospital, now moved to St Vincent's two weeks ago, for restorative care, whatever that is. I know what it means but she's not getting any. With the high drugs her short term memory is very short if at all. Extremely frustrating for her and she thinks she is stupid. You sit in your waste for a very long time before any nurse even considers going to your room, with help bell ringing and ringing. This is a problem coast to coast with our medical system. I gave up and cleaned up my wife myself yesterday after waiting an hour. At that I have Di prepared and only need the nurse for final help. I assist with most things involving her. I could write a book from my daily updates of incompetence, since Feb 8th. Big example was the transfer of Di from Queensway to St Vincent's. You would think they would tranfer the medical log with the patient on all treatment, plus the medication. Nope just sketchy bits and St Vincents has had to reinvent the wheel with lots of calls to Qway.

We used to have a good medical system but its just gone down hill the last few years and its in the newspaper constantly.

Here's part of an email from Vanc about our medical and I get same in Moncton and all over Ont.

'""Yes it can be tough when you get sick. I hear many stories of incompetence in our hospitals. I don't know what the problem is, quite a few of the nurses/doctors just don't seem to care or they act as if the patients are just a bother. """

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club