Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas tank sealer

Read the recent post from Bob Smith on his gas tank problem and was curious what many have used to seal the inside of the gas tank. I finally got all the crud (old fuel) out of the bottom of the tank and it is pretty clean. The one side near the tube area has some rough metal possible rust, but the tank is solid. Haven't used anything to etch it yet etc. Bill Hirsch sells a tank sealer system and so does Eastwood. Both swear they will not be effected by alcohol in the new fuel. Anybody used these with good results and no break down over years.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Re: Gas tank sealer

I got some from Bill Hirsch for my 50 Mercury. It's 5 years old and doing fine.

Where Are You From? Just North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I have used the Eastwood Tank Sealer Kit many times, with very good results. Just follow (all)the directions; clean the tank real well (use the cleaner with a "bunch" of clean bolts & nuts), shake & rattle alot, drain and empty "bolts,etc" out, rinse well. Later next "roll & slosh" the sealer around for even coverage (openings taped), let dry with right-side up if bottom is "thin metal". Works great!

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 28 Locomobile 8-70, 25 Loco JR-8 Brougham, 26 Loco JR-8 Sedan, and JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Hi All....

I've used acetone to clean out all the jellied gas and gunk. Then muratic acid to etch the tank. Followed by a gas tank sealer from Mac's.

Worked for me.....

See y'all in Kalamazoo & Vancouver......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Thanks Vince, Lance and Frank. I'll check those companies out. I've already used the acetone to clean out the gunk, and got the tank real clean inside. Can't see too much rust or flaking area but do notice a rough area on one of the sides I can see. Looks like rust scale so I want to get it real clean and prevent any future problems.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

The Durant Motors Automobile Club