Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mining Equiment with Durant STAR engine

Never heard of Durant until I saw one of their engines at a museum yesterday in Tonopah, Nevada. Thought it might be of interest to some.

Where Are You From? Beatty, Nv

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Mining Equiment with Durant STAR engine

Yet another testament to the durability of the Continental engines.
Or, the mine operators were short on cash so they grabbed the nearest unwatched car and built their own winch,,,

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Is that an original carburetor? I've never seen one.

Where Are You From? Just North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Higher res image at: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5583139317_a73de6fdd8_o.jpg

Seeing the transmission, that is a Star M setup. The carb is from a Model A Ford. Very commonly found on Star engines.

Where Are You From? Big Ditch, MO

Do you have any idea when this was manufactured? I'm planning to pass this info on to the museum director. Was this carb factory installed or something that would work if you had to use?

The engine, trans, frame setup is late '26-early '27. The winch could of been built anytime after that.
The carb is not stock but added after the Tillotson MV-1B conked out. Model A carbs were plentiful and cheap for many years.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Thanks, Don! I'll be passing this along to the museum. I doubt they have any of this info. Imagine, today, trying to put a Ford throttle body on a Chevy or something!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club