Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1924 Star F, Distributor Questions...

I am helping a friend get this car into shape for a road trip in September.

He understands these distributors are prone to failure as the pot-metal bodies age and weaken. I would like to get more knowledgeable on this...

• Are there particular areas that are more likely to fail? This one, now out and apart, looks pretty solid.

• He may wish to carry an extra unit on the road trip. Does anyone here have an good spare or a lead for same?

• Are there any other quirks/trouble spots we should be aware of in this area?

Many thanks.

Where Are You From? Edmonton, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No, but helping with one...

Re: 1924 Star F, Distributor Questions...

I stand corrected about no apparent problems. Upon further examination, the pot-metal distributor driven gear is cracked at one of the drive pin holes.

No telling how long the other side will last... where might we find another of these 12-tooth gears?

Can anybody here help with a replacement gear?

Or, since I'm pretty sure this gear was not exclusive to Star or even Durant — can someone help with cross-reference information for other cars that may has used this AutoLite distributor.

Thank you

Go to our links page, then Larrys Durant Parts, than A-22 parts then scroll down to Dist Gears...Larry has new Distributor gears but the gears pictures appear that they may be 13 tooth rather than 12 tooth, but you might check with Larry possably he can be of help.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / Model 40 Coupe

Thanks Bill, yes they do appear to be 13 tooth, however, will contact Larry directly to see if he might still be of some help.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club