Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gas tank repair

Hello I noticed some seepage from the tank on the A-22. At first it seemed to be coming from the drain plug. In an effort to remove the cast iron drain plug (which is just crumbling) The leak really seems to be where the fitting is soldered to the tank.
This is sort of a case where a little job gets bigger. I'm curious as to the proper way to resolder the fitting. Do I need to fill the tank with water? Provide some suction/air flow? What would be the best solder? I'm hoping to use mapp gas, should I take it apart and clean everything, it is tinned at the moment from the original install 85 years ago. Just don't want to have to explain an explosion to my neighbors. Bob

Photobucket

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22, 633

Re: gas tank repair

I had mine boiled out at a truck radiator repair shop, plumbed my pickup exhaust into the tank, unsoldered the fitting and found the tank rusted so bad a new center section had to be made. Next time I'll take it somewhere to have it repaired. A water wash is not enough and even after boiling, fumes from inside the tank are scarry

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I don't know if there is any absolute safe method of soldering a gas tank...My dad repaired lots of tanks, he would run the exaust hose in the tanks like Dave mentioned and they would still woolf at him when soldering with a torch, then he started using a big soldering iron that you heat with a torch and without the open flame it worked much better...Yes, I think you should remove the drain bung and clean and tin both sides before soldering...Anyway, be careful we don't want your A-22 tank to look like that Southwest jet that made an emergency landing here in Yuma last evening.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / Model 40 Coupe

Many years ago I soldered the filler spout into a 53 Pontiac I had. I simply ran my exhaust into the tank for a while and then soldered it with a butane torch. Had no problem and the job worked out well . Maybe I was just lucky but I did try with a match at the opening first. No woof so I did the job.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I'd leave this to a professional if you can find someone willing to do it. When I was 16, I saw a friend blown through a plate glass window and killed trying to solder a tank. They had boiled out the tank and were running exhaust through it.

If you don't want to spend the money, have it boiled out and then try one of the gas tank sloshing compounds. Just be sure to get one that can stand up to the alcohol in the gasoline.

Where Are You From? Just North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

When I was working on my Roadster, I removed the gas tank and took it to a radiator shop to have it boiled it out. I let it air dry for several days, I guess around a week or more and took it to a different shop to have the inside of the tank coated. This has been a common practice in the motorcycle industry for years; Harley started prepping their gas tanks at the factory 30 years ago.

While my tank was in the shop to be coated, I had them perform some repair work that involved welding. Since the tank had been boiled out and dried for over a week before I took it in to the shop, fumes and things that go boom wasn’t an issue.

I will do the same thing to the tank in the 619 come the Fall.

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of em

The Durant Motors Automobile Club