Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can you Identify the car?

Dave Schulte has supplied this picture of a Durant dealership and a mystery car in front.
Can you identify the car?

Re: Can you Identify the car?

Is it a 1932 6-14 Dominion Motors Durant?

Boy, looking at the damage in the back it looks like he must have gotten hit by a train.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / 29 model 40 Coupe

my guess 31or 32 plymouth or dodge

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star

To me it has the look of a 1933 Continental Ace. Note both doors suicide style...

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22, 633

I know exactly what it is. It's called a "Trade In".
Maybe on a new Durant?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

good one don

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star

looks like one that the US government took in trade last year in the cars for crash program.

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

Dave and I have come to the conclusion its a 33 Beacon. Everything matches a pic I sent Dave of the Beacon.

Sure not a Canadian 32 614 nor a 33 633 Durant. See photos section of DMAC for that. We still had open fenders. The Conny's and 33 / 34 Frontys had the partly closed in fenders.

I suspect the Conny is at a Durant dealer as they are probably still in business servicing Durant, DeVaux and Conny's. I think Lea & Hawley, here in Ottawa, lasted until about 1940. As to what happened to that wreck ???

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I think you have it zerode in Norm, Both the 33 Ace and the 33 Beacon have the same looking characterists except the Beacon has a lovered hood and the Ace has doors in the hood like the 633...My guess of the 6-14 isn't even on the right planet.

Its ok Bill ... I have many days now of not being on the right planet. The older I get the more I can't remember why or what I was going to do. Put the milk in the cupboard and the bread in the fridge. aughhh that's not right. This morning I discovered I left the lettuce on the counter all night, instead of returning it to the fridge before supper and a container of orange juice in the sink, again instead of the fridge. Nice wilted lettuce and warm juice.

Finally braved the cold for a walk to Giant Tiger to get a few grocery's. Lance would love it. - 30 C or - 20 F and with wind chill to seem - 40 C. So much for a milder winter the claimed a few weeks ago.

Hope you weren't looking in Terrys site under Conny's where he calls the Ace a 633 Fronteanc. Again the Ace fenders are nothing like the 633.

`gee uncle normie, its 10 degrees here in phila., pa....colder than canada???...oh my !!!!!!!

Where Are You From? PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH ; 1925 STAR F ROADSTER

My great unc Gary ... Its balmy at 10 F with you. We still have minus 20 F today with ice on the windows and water on the inside frames. Seems the deep freeze is to warm up tomorrow to minus 7 C, whatever that is. I, like a lot of us, will never understand metric and do conversion. Just another way for our Govmt to confuse Canadians into thinking they are paying less for more, but being the other way round. Now we have the older citizens stuck on imperial and our children half way to both. Visitors from the US scratching their heads at what any of it is. Of course products and tools now both and not fitting each other. Gee that sounds like Durant's. Parts on this model and year, don't fit that model and year.

Nefu Norm

Rick, as per your photo of the damaged auto, it looks like the 1932 Beacon that is on display in our Muskegon Museum. I took a copy of the photo to compare.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A22 Durant

Hi All.....

OK next question......

What car is in the window and what is on the poster in the window??

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Ha ha Frank .. That's what I mentioned to Dave before he sent the pic to Rick. Its too bad the window ad is so far away to bring up to see what cars they are selling on the ad. Enlarging the pic on the pc just makes it fuzzier. Seems to be at least 2 cars inside the windows.

Since the car is 1933 its after D Motors stopped selling. Could be Connies inside or maybe left over 619's from 31 ?? Nope wrong rad shell for a 619. Its a good guessing game.

If I recall correctly Lea and Hawley sold other than Durants / Stars, here.

Hi All.....

So was this picture taken in Canada??

Got snow so must be somewhere North??

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

The photo was purchased out of Conn. so could be US or Canada

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Here is a closeup of the dealer window. There are two cars in there, but this pic is a clear as I can get it. If you want, you can download the picture to your computer and get a better view.

Rick

Houston, We may still have a problem... After Comparing pictures of the 1933 Continental Beacon to the dammaged mystery car, at first glance they look much the same, however after studying the two I am not convenced that they are the same vehicle...This is a good photograph for comparison http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/93105,10523/1933-Continental-Beacon_Photo.aspx

Four of the main differences I found are. 1-Hood and hood louvers are different, On Beacon luvers are shorter and verticle on mystery car they are longer and appear angled back. 2-Door handle positions, on mystery car they are on the belt on Beacon they are mounted below the belt. 3-Front door window appears slightly wedged shaped on Beacon but not on mystery car. 4- Front fender and fender valance appear different, on mystery car valance taperes to running board, Beacon becomes wider at running board, there could be a couple of other differences but see what you think... I haven't seen pics of a '32 Beacon but would think it would be much the same...Bryan mentioned Plymouth or Dodge as being a possiability, looking at compairisons between the damaged mystery car and a 1933 Plymouth PD 4 door sedan may be a much closer match...

(Beacon Address)http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/93105,10523/1933-Continental-Beacon_Photo.aspx

This is the 1933 Plymouth PD sedan (I think it is an artest concept)
http://www.uploadimages4free.com/browse_images/1933_plymouth_pd_4_door_sedan_with_dual_horns_art_work_midnight_blue_black_fvl-6861.html

This may be a closer match to the mystery car.

Good going Bill, thanks. I see you used my Beacon pic to get its mates. Had trouble bringing up the Dodge one so scanned the long list of images until I found it. Yes the 1933 / 34, Connys / Frontys ( 633 Durant) had handles below the belt (and yes open cars 30 - 32)

It appears the left car is also the 33 based on the Dodge pic and chromed windshield. Right car seeems to have rad shell of early 30's Dodge / Plymouth.

Pity we have no photos of the 33 / 34's in DMAC photos for comparison.

Doing a bit of a search on Google newspapers (free Ottawa Citizen) I see our Lea & Hawley has an ad 1936 for Reo Flying Cloud. 1937 an item about Ottawa School Board buy a bus from them. Another about them 1936 and being rejected, along with GM, in providing Reo Trucks for snow removal as the trucks don't have the called for gross weight. Odd I can't now bring up any ads, for Durant ads in the 30's by Lea & Hawley, I had copied out last year. Chuckle 1936 Lea & Hawley is one of the dealers to use Alemite Temprite Summer Gear Lubricant and boys and girls can get a swell free Alemite kite, to fly. Be the 1st in your neighbourhood to have one of these big kites.

Anyway it seems this Laycock Motors moved to Dodges perhaps.

Welp, I may have gotten it on my first guess but the reflection of that 6-14 glaring through that Durant show room had me totaly confused.

What about the Willys sign in the window?

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

You think its a 614 in the window ??? 614 has a wider top apron with the crest on it or most do. The 614 ad I have from Lansing differs to the normal top apron but still has a drop down center part where the crest is. The one in the showroom has neither.

Now I just ran across something that really has me puzzled, scanning the Ottawa Citizen Aug 24 1931. An ad by Lea & Hawley, Durant Motors Limited and under that a division of Dominion Motors, selling the 6-19.
Selective Free Wheeling at slight additional cost.

Describes the features of this new car with .. double drop frame ... low center of gravity ... streamline body .. new style radiator ... refreshing beauty and brilliant performance.

See the new 6-19, Drive it, Make your own comparisons.

Has a hand holding up the car.

I thought the 6-19 was a US only car and yet here's an ad offering it in Canada from Leaside via Lea & Hawley ????

Norm,

Since buying a 619 I have tried to learn as much as possible about the car and I believe that it was only made in Lansing . But since the Lansing factory was shut down in August of 1931 and Durant would have know when they were going to shut everything down much earlier, it could be that Durant sold some of his excess inventory to the new Dominion Motors.

Hi Rick .. I assume you got the Citizen item I sent. I have a copy of 619 brocheur, Gary sent me some time back, by Lansing. Wood spoke was standard and wire wheel an option. No where does it say the 619 came with free wheeling as an option. That seems to be a Canadian thing, unless I am mistaken. I know it was available on Dominion cars 614, 618, Frontenac's. I didn't realize the 614 could have free wheeling until I saw a brocheur page, in our now defunt AACO paper, after I bought Dot. Now add that Steve has L and T VIN numbers, kind of indicates they were produced here as well, briefly.
Like I mentioned before, Lance in Fla has an ad for a 613 he got in Niagara Falls Ont, yet does anyone have one, seen one ? Going through the old papers sure seems to unearth new light on this empire of vehicles and disproves a few things that were thought to be gospel. Those who did write ups and books hadn't the resources we have now at a touch of a button.

Its quite possible it is as you say and I noted the car held up in the hand had closed end bumpers, which are US. grin.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club