Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Wood Wheels

Hello Everyone, I just got some new hickory spokes put in my front wheels and was looking for input in regards to how they should be finished. The fellow that did the wheels suggested a coat of clear sealer and then numerous coats of marine varnish. Does anybody know how the original finish was done? The existing spokes are quite dark due to the age of the clear finishes which I assume are varnish. Also my existing wheels had a black stripe along the body of the spokes. Is this standard production? Any input or help would be appreciated. Regards, Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: New Wood Wheels

Phil-I assume you had new spokes built by Jim Kanne in West Linn. I have a set on my car and they have been excellent. I sealed them with marine varnish(multiple coats)I'm still going to put a black arrow shaped pinstripe on each one.I've heard it said that our cars never had natural finish spokes(at least the 1930 model), but I've got the factory photo that shows the gal opening up the trunk of a 1930 coupe(the house in the background even has a house number of 30), and it shows a natural finish with the stripe. That's good enough for me, as I like the look of the natural finish.Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 coupe

Re: New Wood Wheels

Ross ... right from Leaside booklet on the 1930 614. This was the model I had in the 60's. Varnished wood spokes in the pic. Standard shows painted with the V's.

1930 Special Durant

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club