Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Rad Shell

I pulled the radiator shell off of the 619 last week and discovered a fair amount of damage to the bottom of the shell.

I know the chances are slim, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Does anyone have a radiator shell that will fit a 1931 model 619 in better shape??

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 619

Re: Looking for Rad Shell

Yours does look about like my spare. Can you chrome over bondo?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 model 6-19

Bob Bush in Auburn WA claimed to have two 619 shells in answer to Ricks request, then next day his reply was gone from the posting. I sent him an email wondering if he had a 619 rear bumper I might be able to turn into a 32 614 one. No reply.

If they can chrome over plastic, perhaps they can chrome over most things. I assumed you needed a metal base 1st for the electrolytic transfer.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Yeah, while I was writing a reply I had trouble with the browser I was using and decided to delete and start over, but deleted both Bob’s entry and my reply. So I used the phone as requested and it worked much better anyway. Bob has promised to send me one of his and will send me pictures first. Recently I tried a couple of new (to me) browsers, one was junk and I removed it ASAP, the other has been around for a long time, Opera. They claim it is faster than the others, and while it was certainly no slower I found the interface lacking features I am used to in Firefox and IE were missing or hidden from me. I finally removed it too. IE 8 is not compatible with most of my online banking accounts; otherwise it seems to be more stable than before. I use Firefox the most of the time these days, but even it is getting slower, so I use both.
The bumpers or bumperettes on my 619 are one of the good features. If I’m lucky they will only need plating when the time comes. I compared them to the ones used on the 407, 614 and 617 and they are different and I had thought they were 619 only parts. The more I learn about the 619 the more I feel the factory was very clever for a production and marketing standpoint. They used parts from inventory and added styling pieces like bumpers, deco looking grill (the only Durant at the time to have one), and unique instrument panel and made it look like a longer, bigger car than it really is. From pictures the 619 looks to be the same wheelbase as a 618 (115 inches) or 617 (116 inches) while in fact was much shorter at 109 inches wheelbase, that’s one inch shorter than my 1929 model 60 roadster and the same as 1928 Roadster and I thought those small cars. I think that was clever of the designers considering the limitations they must have had consider the company was broke and soon would stop production only a few months after its introduction.

If Bondo could be chromed plated you just known some guy would try to make a bumper for a 56 Caddy out the stuff, Ha.

My goodness, Opera, had that on my orig pc 2000 with W95. My son works for, Connect Solutions out of Calif an Adobe partner, here in Ottawa in his house. One of two Canadians they hired. He has little use for MSN but has to have knowledge of them to assist clients. He's usually testing products not yet available to the public from MSN and such Co's. Actually hes just upped me from IE 6 to IE 8. Still feeling my way around that and its quirks. At least I still have my OE for mails.

Anyway, yes we discovered Durant / Dominion used the backing bars of the 1930 bumpers on the 1932 and 619's. Jack checked his 32 614 to his 30 coup and found the backings identical in length. Where the difference is US 619 to our 1932 614 / 618 bumpers, is yours is closed end wrap round and ours is open ended so you see the backing at the bolt. That's why I am looking for the left rear bumperette to see if I can cut the opening to make it a Canadian 32 one. I have half the left side, cut before the diamond bumper medallion bolt place. Need two of those also for the rear ,again different to the 619 like a few parts.

Having said that my hood is an inch longer than the 619, so can't use the Ford hood strip with playing around, like Lance did. However a B52 Mack hood strip and end clamps are identical to the 31 / 32 D / F's and 32 Plymouth. You just have to cut a chunk off the strip. Those stainless steel parts are available on ebay and a Mack place in Penn. www.bigmacktrucks.com (The B-Model Store)

Ah did keep the ebay lad's info
C.D. Roser
66 W Elm St
Homer City PA 15748

He cut the strip an inch longer than I needed before sending it to me. Said he had loads of them and two prices. Still wrapped was a bit more expensive than unwrapped ones. He buys up job lots of items. Had lots of the caps as well.

Top is a picture of my 619 rear bumper and bottom is Wayne's 619.

Thanks for the hood strip tip, i will follow-up on it as I'm sure buying a new one will be cheaper than chrome plating the old one.

Thanks Rick .. heres the only pic I have of mine, taken before Dot came home. You can see the piece is also missing from backing bar to the medallion place. I don't think its S shaped like yours. Now seeing a close up of both bumperettes, I might not be able to Canadianize a 619 one ?? Almost look like yours are shorter than Dots as I am missing half again before the rear tire. Could be the way the pics are taken.
Jacks using 619 front and back on his but the backing bars of the 30 are same. Also using our triangle medallions. Again his back bumper is full one like the front, not like we have. I can't get at Dots back end as she's tight against the back wall of the shed, to get pics left and right side. You can also see the mysterious slot in the botton of the fender. Other side has the same slot. Jacks doesn't have that but two sliding pipe things over the beading, more mystery. Slots appear factory done. Oh for orig photos of the car same as Bob (633) would like.

Photobucket

Norm,

I contacted C.D. Roser and has you said, he had what I needed, he even remembered selling you a set.

I first checked that Mack Truck parts website and they wanted $114 for just the end caps. I next contacted C.D. Roser and for $109 plus shipping he had the caps and hood strip as a set. That was a slam dunk.

It's amazing, that the end caps for a Mack model B are a perfect match for the 619 end caps. Could the designer of the model B Mack have owned a Durant?

Thanks Norm for the tip

Rick

Glad I could help. Its thanks to Gord that had me looking for the parts. Yes the caps can be found on a number of vehicles from 1931 and up into the 50's. Hood strip also. I know strip is not an idential match with rounded top but close enough and never have to be rechomed like orig.
I got a used set of end caps from a fellow here off his 1946 Dodge two ton front part of a semi. Caps match outwardly but the Dodge has fake hood strip and single round rod hinge. You'd have to see it to understand. One side of the hood top is narrower than the other because of this fake strip arrangement. What the Dodge did was fill in half of one side of the caps, you can pry out and break the weld. Then you have our idential cap.

Yes Bob (633) noted the same with the B store as being greedy in its prices. They sure weren't that price 3 years ago.

I was quite pleased with C.D.Roser and had a few emails as well over Durant's.

Hello Rick, Norm
I have been following the strip and end cap posts. The 633 seems to require a 34 1/4 strip. I noticed some of the cheaper ones where too short. Whatever caps they used on the 633 are missing...the mack caps seem to be clucky, but then you do need something to hold the strip down as that and the hood releases are the only thing holding the hood on. Clip that only butted the strip would only stop the strip from slidding (nothing in regards as holding the hood down??
How long are the strips on the 6-19, 6-14 ?

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22, B-22, 633

Hi Folks:

The end clips fit over the centre strip which holds the two side pieces together. When bolted down at each end it forms a very good attachment for the hood. I found out about the B42 series Mack in the 60's when I was working at a Ready Mix Company and we used all B42S Macks. I have used a Mack centre strip and end pieces on the Frontenac since 1973. The Frontenac centre strip had a raised ridge down the centre, but that was the only difference and there aren't many afficianados who would know the difference. The Frontenac strip is 32 1/4 inches long. The end caps were identical.
By the way, the 614 and 618 bodies are the same as the Frontenac and 619 Durant. The difference in wheelbase length is made up at the cowl. The Frontenac, & 619 are 109" the 614 is 112" and the 618 is 115"
The other big difference with the Frontenac and 619 is that they have the double drop frame. The Durants 614 and 618 have a straight frame. This makes their overall height 3 1/2 " taller. You sure notice it when parked beside one.
The ride in both the 614 and 618 is a little smoother due to the longer wheelbase.
The rear bumper on our Frontenac is one piece, it has the rear mounted spare. The ends are wrapped around the end bolt.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hello Gordon Thanks for the information. The DeVaux 80, Frontenac 6-85, Durant 633 and Continental Ace all had the 114" wb. They all have differences (the ace had suicide doors), but they all shared features. I'm a little surprised to learn the 633 has a longer hood, the strip on the car now, is original (splitting at ends) but does have the center crease. A box of parts did come with the car, didn't recognize most, will have to look in it again for the end pieces. Bob

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22, 633

Hi guys ... Gord is correct. I have the orig rusty hood strip with the ridge down the center. Once the end caps are in place there is no way you can remove the hood.

Bob you now indicate having the strip so your end caps are missing, like Dots were. Much easier to work on a motor with hood off and caps missing. I seem to recall Stephan's 31 614 caps are now missing also. Thought I sent you pics of the caps on the 46 Dodge, Waynes 619. Can't recall now as my pc wiped out all sent mails in OE. Grrrr

I have a feeling you will find the hood strip varies based on the model. Frontenac as Gord says is 32 1/4 inch. However my hood is 33 5/8 long and strip is 33 3/8. Remember the rad shells are different 619 / Fronty, which probably accounts for the difference. Can't say for the 618. The Mack strip is miles to long for any of our cars, so lots of extra to play with to get right length for our individual models.
Ah, after market catalogue indicates 618 has its own hood. E and 670 their hood. 614 has its own hood for Dominion cars. No mention of the 633 and C400 / C600.

If I recall correctly the 614 can be 112 wheel base or 115. The after market catalogs indicate mufflers, tail pipes, and exhaust pipes, for the 614 of different lengths. Didn't think the 614 came with free wheeling but saw an ad for the 614 indicating it was an option.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club