Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wire Wheel Hub Cap Alternative

As some of you may know the earlier wire wheel hub caps are pretty scarce...Rick brought it to my attention that one reason for this is that people would remove their wheels with the hub caps in place and often the wheels would fall over landing on and flatening, cracking,and denting the caps beyond repair...Anyway, I have came up with a possiable option for some of the more plentyful Durant lettered screw on caps...For my model 40 (4 lug) having a 3 5/16" center hole in the wheel and the hubs having a 2 1/4"-16 MPT threads, I simply machined some threaded extention nipples and collars to accomidate the screw on caps that also have a 2 1/4"-16 FPT inside thread...In my case the front nipples are 1 5/8" long and the rears are 2 1/4" long and the threaded connecting collars are 7/8" ...Now what happens is that all but the outter 1/2" of the cap will be inside the wire wheel when screwed on...I haven't tried this prototype yet, Should I have any concerns?

threaded adapter

Photobucket

durant Hub cap

I need to detail these caps in Chinees Red
Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / 29 model 40 Coupe

Re: Wire Wheel Hub Cap Alternative

Correction: I said MPT and FPT, they are not a tapered pipe thread but rather a streight 16 pitch thread.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / 29 model 40 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club