Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rugby 1920 since located in Cyprus

I have a Rugby that is on the island of Cyprus since 1920,The car is complete and in working order. I want to contact people who have similar Rugby's of that age, I have not seen similar car on the web. Only very general references but not detail information, My Rugby is powerd by a French J.Fivet 4 cylinder engine and has acytaline front lamps suply be a gas generator on the right step panel,
All information wolcome,
sincerely
Harris

Where Are You From? Nicosia Cyprus

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes,

Re: Rugby 1920 since located in Cyprus

You sure its a Rugby car ?? From what I understand Durant Motors didn't start exporting cars until 1923. They didn't make cars before 1921. Durant's 1921 and up, and Star's 1922 and later, they sure didn't have acytaline front lamps. This sounds like a very early car pre 1916 to have those lights.

Not having any luck in Google search for that engine. Wikipedia can't find it either. However Bing search does have one that might be close and shows that name under Explosion Engines.

Marcas Translate this page
"DE BOSENDE" Restauracción y colección de Motores Estacionarios Antiguos y Maquinaria ... J. FIVET
bosende.com/Marcas.htm

I have checked my Encyclopedia of all Motorcars 1885 to 1968 and there is no Rugby car named other than Durant / Star rebadged as Rugby's for export.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Here are pictures of the car.

Somebody is messing with our collective minds. The only thing pertaining to Rugby is the radiator. All the rest is earlier parts. I would sure like to know the history of this "assembled" car!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Hi,
Acording to wikipedia Rugby automobiles
"The Rugby was a 1920s brand of automobile assembled by the Durant Motors Company of New York City, New York (USA). The vehicle was identical to Durant's Star car, and was assigned to export markets by Durant Motors, due to the name Star being under copyright by The Star Motor Company in the British Commonwealth."
It is more unlikely or to say imposible, for the car to had any changes made in Cyprus, especially in 1920's, The aplication for registration is not clear, the car was imported to Cyprus like that. Also not clear is, if the car was imported from America or from England.
It is possible some one to fit the Rugby radiator grill with the Fedders radiator, but again looks very unlikely, the grill with radiator and bonnet lines have an almost perfect fitting, the engine crank line startin handel with the chasis & the Rugby grill also in line. Nothing looks like the car had changes made to it, extra fitting, plates, holes etc. No indications to reveal later changes.
It must have been a factory job from the begining,
The fedders radiator has the pattend plate with the date 4 April 1911. Cyprus was a British colony from 1878 until 1960, the car registration reveals that the car was the 21st, car register in the town of Larnaca. Most of the car chassis parts have cast prints 'Made in USA'. Only the engine and the front lamps are made in France the rest are made in USA, Please comment because I also had the same thoughts regarding a made up car by somone. Important to know that I am the second owner of the car, the late first owner was very wealthy and had busines tradeing with American companies,
sincerely
Harris

Harris, this car is extremely interesting. How about a pic of the instrument panel and steering wheel. Also, a shot of the rear of the car.
It looks like the wheels have wooden fellows and non demountable rims which Durant never used. The windshield is also not a Durant item.
One other item,,,, how is the transmission attached? To the frame or to the engine?

Hi All.....

Got to agree with Don "VERY interesting car"

The Star (Rugby) rad shell was not used till the mid 1920's on the Model F, so the date is at least 1924/ 1925.

Is there a data tag on the firewall? How about a picture of the firewall also.

Looks like a later body on an early (not Durant) chassis.

With Durant products you can never say never, who knows what this really is??????????

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

This seems to be bits of everything. Doesn't look smooth cowl to doors. Also body patch to raise cowl up to take the Star (Rugby) shell etc ?? The front caps don't match back ones. From the little we see it looks like a Model T brass stearing column under the stearing wheel like I had on my 09 T. Actually the front axle, wheels and caps look Ford T. Same shape of metal after cap and before the wheel on the hub. T caps did and didn't have Ford name. Rear caps should match front as well. I'm betting this "car" is a bunch of parts covering a number of years from 1900's to mid 20's. Its a "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" car like Dysneys. Still have fun with it though.

Anyone ever heard of a Mutt pictured here ? Sorry its the best I can do with a black and white photo from the 60's. One in works and after with lights. This was built by a fellow I knew back then. Its a lot of Ford T parts on shortened frame, home made body, with buggy roof and formed tin fenders. Back sides of the body are louvered wood doors you would put on a closet, for effect. Fenders use T running board hangers to hold them on, just rebent. Its powered one of those one lunger motors used on farms to pump water, with the twin fly wheels. He took off one flywheel and put a T flywheel and tranny in place of it. Cut the rear end hole bigger to take a chain after switching the crown gear to a cog one, for the chain drive. Tiller stearing. Rad is fake, using cooling coils off a refrigeration unit for effect and brass Mutt name. It was hand cranked from the side, just like a 1903 type car. Painted deep maroon. And yes it did drive and I saw it about 4 years ago in a drug store window as a display thing. He called it a Mutt since that's what it was. Just a mongeal car from parts. To anyone else it looks like and runs like, a 1900's car

Photobucket

Photobucket

I believe I have found your car. I rechecked my book of cars and used Fivet only for motors. Six makers used a Fivet motor.

Berge (French) 1923
Le Tigre (French) 1920 - 23
Mourre (French) 1921 - 23
Sidea (French) 1912 - 24
Tuar (French) 1913 - 25

And your car AC made Great Britian in Thames Dutton, Surrey

Autocars and accessories Ltd 1908 -1911
Autocarriers 1911 Ltd 1911 - 1922
A.C. Cars Ltd 1922 to date

1913 this Co brought out a 10 hp 4 cyl light car with 3 speed gear box in the rear axle, engine was a 1,100cc Fivet. This got modernized 1919 to use a Anzani engine.

Thought your car seemed British looking and that back hub cap could be an AC perhaps. Unfortunately I have no pics to show me what a 1913 - 18 AC looks like, but carbide lights would be that earlier period. Might also account for rad date of 1911.

Dear Norm,
It makes sense what you say regarding the French cars with Fivet engines, also the British AC early cars that also call Fivet because of the engine, I have also try to get picture of this cars but no luck.
But the chassis parts on my car are made in USA, I am not sure about the LG casting on the hub cups of the rear axel, is it a possible locomobile item? If the front grill had been change during the 1920’s why not the owner to have it replaced from the person who most probably supply him the car in the first place, if that was from England or France then it should had have the brand name of one of the brand you mention above, it must have been the easiest to get hold of parts from Europe than America.
Cyprus was a British colony from 1878 to 1960, Larnaca (coastal town) in 1920’s had regular cargo ships come and go to England,
Why to have American Rugby grill, come from America or even Europe to fit on a French or British car?
Sincerely
Harris Economides

Hi Harris

I just recalled British cars were more prone to wooden windshields like yours in my British book of cars. The write up on AC's mentioned the modernizing of the car 1919 also indicated this was 1st year for electric's (meaning headlights) ... so again this seems to indicate yours as in this time period 1913 - 18.
------------------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars write up mentions AC shut down to make war things but that rumors about one car being made. Here's that bit.

Their first four-wheeled car was produced in 1913; it was a sporty little two seater with a gearbox on the rear axle. Only a few were built before production was interrupted by the first World War. During the Great War, the Ferry Works factory produced shells and fuses for the war effort, although at least one vehicle was designed and built for the War Office.
------------------------------------------------------
My book says nothing about shutting down. One can imagine all sorts of things like you having the only car like the famous silver ghost Rolls Royce.

Was the rad shell changed ?? Star / Rugby wasn't the only car to have a shape like that. The pic in wikipedia of the 1924 Royal Roadster seems to have the same high cowl as yours

I was wondering if you can contact AC to see if they have pics and info on their cars. http://www.accars.de

For all AC enquiries, please email info@accars.eu

Can't explain US parts but nothing suprises me. The British Ford T's sure don't resemble the US ones in a lot of the body and fenders. I assume Ford US supplied the chassis and Britian made their own bodies. Hey, even the Canadian T's and A's differ to US ones, same as the Durant's etc do. I've seen pics of an Australian 1930 614 Durant sedan pre restoration and thought that is sure different to any 614 I know about.

well....I am proud. my Uncle Normie is the greatest auto historian i ever knew....don't you all agree ??
luv ya Normie.....regards, nephew Gary K

I think you is funning me Unc Gary. I've had an interest in pre 33 cars since I can recall. Mind you I wasn't around like you, when folks pedaled around on penny farthing bikes or even futher back the bone shaker you walked with no pedals. ha ha.
Sure no expert, even on Dorothy. That encyclopedia of all cars to 1968 has helped me a number of times, that Di gave me on our first xmas 1968. Wished I had known now, of same type book on trucks was also available.

The Packard rad shell is similar to the Star for one. And talking about that I have found cars in the past with crests / badges off other cars, on the rad shells. Just outside Ottawa .. oops now part of Ottawa .. there was a 30 Ford A in a field with Caddy crest drilled throught the stainlesss steel A crest. Stephan's 31 D had Chevy caps on one or two wire wheels, when my chum bought it 1963. I switched 29 Chevy wood spoke front wheels to 29 Ford A ones for a trailer for my bro. Bearings switched exactly. 490 Chevy and T caps switch. Actually 1916 490 Chev used same none demountable wheels as Ford that one year. Same Co made for both just hub different shape but ball bearings same. Also toyed with putting a Rugby crest on Dororthy, since I have both crests, no I have used correct one.
Just saying perhaps this AC ??? car might have a few items changed or be just that, a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang like the Mutt. As mentioned the front end looks Ford T as does the stearing wheel area. Few more pics might help that as well as dash, to see if that helps anyone. Odd there doesn't seem to be pics of the AC 1913 - 18. Before when it was a 3 wheeler, and after 1918, there are a few. Would be interesting to find its past.

From Harris Economides
Sent Friday, December 3, 2010 12:16 pm
To ej938@freenet.carleton.ca

Dear Norm

Thank you for all your efforts to help me, please attached find the pictures of the rugby,

I have also thought several times the c-c bang car story, but it could have not been possible for someone to do it Cyprus.

You will also notice from the pictures that the car was put together from start and no later alterations are visible.

In 1920 were very few cars on the island and almost no workshops, perhaps if they change only the grill and the bonnet with the rad at a later stage; again this is very remote and difficult, with out cars around and no workshops, Who will make certain what fits what.

Then we have the owner, business man, was he going to import a car and been unable to repair.

I believe the car was built by professionals and came to Cyprus like that, most probably in American, from people who had access in the motor car industry and know how and what’s around, May be the same people who form the Durant company later in the 1921.

I will keep trying until I also find the true story behind that car.
-----------------------------------------------

Harris, this is going to look strange using Forum. It has taken me 50 min to open 5 of your pic's on Dial Up and used more space than I am allowed on NCF mail server. I am allowed 50MB max in NCF mail server and would take hrs to down load all the huge pics to IE and see what you have sent me, if my IE didn't crash the PC. Is it possible to shrink the pics to a not seeing the detail the big ones have. I've had to delete the mails in NCF server so any mails from others won't bounce back saying my in box exceeds space. That may already have happened.

I can tell, you to me the steering column is early brass Ford T. Its knurled around the top, where the top is unscrewed and contains the 3 spider gears. Early T has a round plate on the column where it fastens to the firewall same as yours, later is square. Steering wheel arms are also T but you left out the middle of the wheel and I assume it has a brass acorn nut there same as T. The front hub cap is definitely a Ford T like I said they can be. With or without the Ford name and 8 sided where the wheel wrench tightens the cap on. I used to have a few thin chromed brass caps like that one with no Ford name. I still have a Ford T wrench that has the openings for 8 sided hub cap, rear nut, front nut and wheel bearing to unscrew on Fords.

Can you tell if the Ford name is on the wheel hub in the indented part ? My memory on this part. Ford none demountable wood fallow can be smoothed on edges or square. I can't recall presently which is older. I'd have to get a T book to see if it tells me when that switched. These are rounded smooth type.

This car is too roughly made to be factory. Bolts go either way, with and without washers, square or six sided nuts. There's no instruments at all but a plank for a dash, cut to fit the cowl. I couldn't see where you used a key to start it. No ignition switch with key. Even the 1908 Ford T had an Atwater Kent wooden coil box and key to prevent theft. Stupid part is all coil box keys are the same, so any Ford owner could steal your car or anyone that got a key. Heck just use a slotted screw driver. I cut one out of a piece of brass for my 09 in the 60's.

Then I saw the motor / rad with no fan for cooling. How does it cool ? Water pump hidden somewhere or just hot water rises ?

Head lights. Wheres the hinged doors and glass to stop the flame from blowing out ? Any thick glass convex mirrors at back of the the lights inside to throw the light ? Also the Y shaped porcelain part you light

Now from 5 pics I am convinced its a C C bang bang car made up of bits and pieces. The Fivet motor could have come from old farm machinery like my 1st online site mentioned in Spain. I think you have another Mutt.

I'm sure I can see more things but I'm getting called for being on the PC through supper, ha ha.

The watercooled manifold leads me to think it might be a marine engine. The water pump could have been driven off the crankshaft without any fan necessary.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hi Harris .. Had a bit of time to think on it. After deleting your pic's I discovered another 20 mb of pics, last night, had been held off site somewhere and now in my ncf mail server. Called "more pictures 1" Am trying to open them now. They are sitting in the delete folder to allow any other in mails to download to IE from ncf. Most jokes / mail are only a few kbs so have 30 mb of room.

One pic was of the stearing wheel with the acorn nut. Classic Ford T. I've been going by memory on the T info. T cast brass steering wheel spider only went to 1913 but the brass gear case went to 1917. The shape of the area where the two levers are for gas and commutator under the steering wheel, changed also. Early ones were like the edge of the metal on end and later were flat like yours has. The brass steering wheel spider became cast steel 1913 like yours. I'm betting your whole steering column is a 1915 or 16 one, but could be newer if that was monkeyed around with also. Looks identical to the 1915 pic I have. Simple matter of switching the gear box cap or spider and wood rim. Almost anything on a T is switchable from 1908 to 27. T book says the ball bearings used early T hubs can be replaced with the roller bearings used later, by just screwing them in. Guess its part of Henry's keep everything simple and cost efficient.

Also I mentioned about nuts / bolts. That round plate, on the column, on the firewall will have 4 square holes to take 4 carriage bolts, with nuts in the engine compartment, not have two nuts in with flat washer under one and two out.

Talking about that what do the column levers do ? I see a brass knob gas pedal that must be hard to use being flat to firewall. T didn't have a foot pedal and the gas / throttle lever connected to the carb. Yours can't through a solid block and hence the foot set up with the spring from carb forward to bring pedal back. There a commutator on this for spark adjustment the other lever is for ? Henry kept you busy using both hands and legs to drive a T. Adjusting the column levers, pulling back the brake clutch lever on the left side floor and feet dancing on the pedals.

That really is a neat bale handled taillight. Also the round gas tank mounted top of the body at back with coiled copper tubing running down from it and under the body, for gravity feed. Shouldn't think any car had a gas tank mounted up there, but ... Again T tank was under the front seat for gravity feed as were a few cars. Some like Overland and Studibaker was under the cowl. Ford A the cowl was the tank.

Sure is a lot of brass everywhere on this thing. The high back seems to indicate the body itself is early like the 1912 range.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After poking around the internet for the last couple of days I have come to the conclusion that Fivet Engine Company was completely destroyed in WWI and no indication they ever resumed production afterwards.
This info dates the engine to pre 1915 of so.
With this and Norm's findings, I think this is an "assembled car" in the truest sense.
All we have to determine is what year. What paperwork exists that might shed some light on this??

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

The hubcap with the initials L C could have come from a car made by Lurquin-Coudert, a Paris maker of voiturettes or cycle cars, very light 2 cylinder cars made until about 1914. I have the impression that the cars had aircooled engines.

L & C also had a business in England that made motorcycles.

I would guess most of the running gear and accessories were substituted over the years, but the body could be an L-C.

(I got this tip from a friend who knows French stuff)

I'd say the open fenders on the inside, bale handled tail light, full brass head lights and body from front door back are indications of a car around mid 1900's to 1912 perhaps. Bale handled lights are early cars pre teens I believe. Looking at the motor Rick posted, there is no water pump.
I can't see clear enough the area where front springs are fastened to axle to see if there is a place for the spring perch part used on T's. There would be the hole and axle wider there semi circle front and back. That area is covered by spring on top and plate below. But makes sense to use everything from steering column down to axle / wheels, from the T. Less mucking around to make things work.

Don how would you explain Fivet motors used in the five French cars I mentioned into the 20's. Using up existing motors like we did at failure of D Motors Mar 31 to create the 31 / 32 Canadian 614 / 618 ? Can see it with British AC to 1919 and switching to Anzani engine. No AC decided to replace the Fivet at great cost. http://www.britishanzani.co.uk/HISTORY2.htm

I'm not getting anywhere in Google with Fivet and more with Bing. Usually Google is a far better search site. You must be luckier finding about about the Fivet fire.

Charles that could be also. My book has little info on the L C and no pics of one. Just says 1910 - 14 and was one of the earliest cyclecars. It used a V twin Train engine and belt drive.
Perhaps the rear caps only ? Didn't see any car with initals G L that might fit. They look like an after market cap and aluminum of the 20 / 30's, similar to my Fool (instead of Ford name) same script, cap for a 28 / 29 Ford A.

Terms :-

Cyclecar .. simple light car whose design owed much to motorcycle practice, of which a large variety were made from 1912 until about 1922. The typical cyclecar had a engine of less than four cylinders, often air cooled ,with final drive by belts or chains. Flourished in England, France and US, but disappeared with coming of mass produced "genuine light cars" such as Austin Seven and Citroen 5CV.

Voiturette .. French term for light car, used orig by Leon Bollee for his 3 wheeler of 1895, but soon applied by manufacturers and journalists to any small car. 1906 - 1910 a limited bore varying with number of cylinders, 1921 - 25, a capacity of 1500cc. After 1925 the term was used loosely for small race cars and not for production cars at all.

Think this body would be too heavy for cyclecar.

This sure is one guessing game. Parts from everything melded together to make a fun car.

Ah an unknown car in the book, the Breese used Fivet engine 1910 - 12. Biddle mentioned in the article is there. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/w/walton/walton.htm

My apologies having a close up of the front half, right side I can see the head light door hinge. Also see the firewall with hood latched like it doesn't fit properly, same with front lower has space between hood and rad shell. Hood fits very top and then gap widens front and back. Could be at least an inch at bottom at cowl if wood is 3/4 inch thick. Its not even designed that the hood matches up flush with body side but set inside at that point. The hood sill is a board with a groove cut in it to accept the hood side bottom.

Ah in another pic opposite side there is a bent wood, hood former / sill attached to the firewall. Looks more pieces of wood as I see at least four butted ends to make the curve, and wood different widths from hood hinge to bottom sill. This former / sill matches to the slotted bottom hood sill but leaves a long triangular unpainted section of the body sticking out. That doesn't make sense or uniformity.

Can't see if a plywood or glued boards, firewall. Appears wood with seams opening perhaps. Through this firewall the exhaust pipe goes in a rough cut opening and all but touches the firewall at one rough cut. There is a boot made to cover the exhaust pipe passenger side toe board and you can see in the steering wheel pic the pipes go straight down and then back like plumbing pipes. That must be awkward for a passengers feet.

Well folks your guess on all this ??

Dear Norm,
I have to thank you for all your efforts to find out exactly where that Rugby??? car cams from, It is obvious that from your experiences and all comments written in the forum so far this does not look a in any way a proper Durant or even a pre Durant motor ??, despite the rad and a Rugby emblem.
Like you say, if we take away radiator & grill, it is very possible to be another car or a mixture of many cars put together, definitely before 1919 and not in Cyprus.
From the document in hand is impossible to know where the car initially came from.
Regarding some comments you made about the steering column, yes it is most probably an earlier or 1915 1916 Ford.
But the firewall it looks that was made from the beginning to accommodate that steering column, the exhaust plumping style pipe and the magneto switch.
The exhaust pipe it is mostly cover by the floor planks, a part of the exhaust curved pipe is protruding by an inch behind the firewall, and is shielded with a metal plate that looks more like home made, again if the original shielding was bent or deformed, someone must have try to replace it with a home made one, this does not exclude the possibility that originally it might have been a properly pressed formed exhaust shielding plate on the firewall. All three cuts on the firewall are smooth.
If the column nuts are in or out wrongly, that is very possible, some time they might have been remove, due to slag or play, and re-fitted wrongly by a butcher mechanic,

The hood as you noticed does not much the firewall; also the inner wood trims to accommodate the hood. Rear hood latches are not original fit that’s why do not line proper. Rad shell and hood have very good fitting, car was recently to a show and unfortunately people pull and push from the cowl, minor adjustment will set it right. Nothing is clued and no plywood is fitted on the car, all parts are solid wood and slotted to fit with screws and wood dowels.
Triangle firewall bit not covered by hood, between 1900 and 1919 many cars do not have uniformity fittings of engine hood to firewall most cars had square hoods ending on flat firewalls this is not a good example to judge the car uniformity.
The chassis is fitted mainly with flat square nuts, some have been replaced that is why are not square. Only the engine support frame has normal nuts, this is also normal, car body were made by coachbuilders and blacksmiths, mechanical parts like engines, from engineers.
The engine magnetos do not look like they are the original intended for that engine, most probably they have been replaced, steering column adjusters, one is obsolete, one is for a wire & wheel linkage to pull the throttle that is also operated by the push floor pedal. The magnetos do not have a linkage to adjust ignition advance, magnetos contact carrier is fixed, but easily can convert with a simple screw removal and link arrangement to become adjustable if necessary from the other adjuster.
Acetylene lamps made by French Besnard are very ok, bezels are nicely hinged and glass is very clear to see in the photos, originally were fitted with a thick lenses to amplify the light, I have one but I was not able to trace a second to much the original. Tail oil lamp, is English made in 1904.
Also like you say the front beam axel it may comes from a T Ford. If you had time to study my photos you may have seen that it has been cut and riveted in the middle most probably to adjust correct with the chassis and leaf springs. Also at a closer look the actual body (dash to back) is very similar to the Ford T tourer, (note the square doors and seat leather upholstery & arrangement.)

Now the chassis is definitely not a Ford, it is as you say something very older; it’s wooden, shielded & riveted with steel plates bolted with square flat nuts.
Again with out been very certain, it is possible to have an older French chassis with a French engine, rear axel and acetylene lamps,
With an altered Ford T tourer passenger carriage and made to fit nose of a later possibly a Rugby car.

But does it make sense some one go to such extend and make all that?
It couldn’t have been made here in Cyprus. Someone made it and went to all this trouble to send it over. It was going to by much easier to buy a new car. I have to keep searching until I find something that makes sense. May be is a cheaper version of a custom made car to sent over here.
Any way I thank you again and I will keep you posted for the out come of my search
Sincerely
Harris Economides

Hi Harris

I don't think the body is Ford T. Ford didn't make doors nor door handles like that. 1913 Ford T had square doors and inside lever to open the doors, 1914 they rounded the bottom corners of the doors but kept the straight tops. 1915 was curved top of door to match the new metal cowl. 1908 to 1912 had small front doors, with body tin to the firewall had slope to match the toe board. Those front doors were removable to have open front. Actually I believe front doors were an option pre 1913.

Yes carbide light reflectors in the brass head lights were very thick glass. Might be because of the heat created and also the vibrations, thin glass couldn't have stood up to it. Didn't have metal reflectors yet.

You are already telling us the car is made up of parts of many cars. I can't see the front axle where you say it was cut but again you confirm more playing around to make things fit. I mentioned your pics were too large for my pc to download and took up more room that I was allowed on my servers, mail server.

Actually this isn't much different to hot rods where bodys are cut, etc. Put on new frames, new motors and undercarriage changed, It was done most likely in the 1920 or 30's with that 1927 Star / Rugby shell. Depression era where things were reworked and ad hoc'd to made them work. Here we had Bennett buggies and I forget what the US called them. Motors, trannys, rads, fenders, removed and horses used to pull the body / bare chassis around with.

Makes perfect sense to me creating your own car from parts of many. Look at the Mutt I mentioned above. Back when this was done cars and parts were everywhere and could be got for just taking them away. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and other such cars, is a good example of making a car from anything.

Enjoy it for what it is. Makes people turn their heads. Who but a few of us car nuts knows its not an orig factory car.

Norm

I was thinking about all this in bed. Heres a pic of an assembled ?? near Henderson Ont.

whatever

I know its not a roadworthy car but again how parts can be brought together to make something. Its got two updraft carbs, back to back, on a modified manifold. Vacuum tank you can see and fuel pump on the block. The cowling / stearing wheel is off some late 30 early 40's vehicle. One wheel is woodspoked. Frame horns had a bumper at one time perhaps twin bar bumper of the late 20's. Those are buggy axles and springs mid way back and under it .. for what ?? Front axle is not I beam but round and not altered or made up, but upside down for height through the bush to haul logs. No idea what the flat head 6 is out of or made by, but seems to be 28 - 32 vintage. Put a touring body on the frame, fenders and you have some machine for people to gawk at and say what the heck is that.

In the states, they were called Hoover buggies. The Rugby shell and hood are style copies of old Vauxhalls. Since GM bought them in 1925, it's quite possible Durant reached out to his old buddies and lifted the design for his car. They may even have shipped him the stampings. There was some "world trade" in car parts even back then. Citroen stampings were made in the US, for example. One of the cars that had a reinforced wooden frame was the Franklin. However this fits in with the Voiturette idea of a very light car.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club