Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need headlight rims for 1931 Durant

I am in need of two head rims for my 1931 model 619. I don’t know if the headlights used on a 619 were the same as other models, but I’d think the chances are good. I have the original rims, but they are badly cracked all the way around.

Rick

Re: Need headlight rims for 1931 Durant

RICK, SEND A PIC OF WHAT YOU HAVE....I MAY HAVE AN EXTRA OR TWO...NOT SURE TILL I SEARCH THE PILE.....GARY

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH, 1925 STAR ROADSTER

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 model 619

I assume those lenses are Glolight 9 7/16 #944. Don't have the inner size. If so same as the 30's. Our 31 - 32 D and F are Depress Beam 9 5/16 x 8 1/2 11471. Same looking door with tab at bottom. Ours came be two different Depress Beams one with tab and the other with nut and bolt on the door to compress the ring inside. Nothing fits other than the lense one light to the other. Dots painted ones are nut / bolt type with seal beams being changed to chromed tab type. I have lights of both types. 633 uses same Depress Beam size but # 12887 convex lense.

Funny I would have thought 619 might be the Depress Beam seeing the Fronty was billed 1931 and a half 619. Guess Dominion did its own thing.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Well Norm, I can't say the rims on there now are even correct. I've never seen so many cracks before and there are holes in them where a prior owner used sheet metal screws to secure the top of the rims to the buckets. These old cars always have a history behind them.

Rick My 6-14 uses the same lenses as you seem to have (944), and the buckets look the same , but the rings have a piece riveted to the bottom of the ring,that is for the attachment tab that you screw into the corresponding piece on the bucket. Also have the spear ornament screwed into the top of the ring. (Guess not on 6-19s) I think I have an extra one like that, but maybe not what you need? What is that, a Packard radiator emblem, or some obscure Durant hybrid model? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Ross,

Both the grill and radiator emblem are repairs from the car's past. I now have the correct grill and rad emblem thanks to Lance.

It's good to learn that the 614 headlights are similar, Durant made more of those than the 619. I'd be interested in see how close of a fit the ring would be?

Yep Rick, would be interesting to know some of the cars backgrounds over the years .... After I bought Dot and on the way to pick her up, the lad who was trailering her home for me had two 31 - 33 D /F chrome headlights to replace the painted seal beams ones. I'll swear there wasn't very much left that wasn't splits in the doors on both chromed lights. Yours are mint compared to Dot's, ha ha. One lense was busted and had big rusty washers with bolt to hold the lense parts together. Got one door from Tim Orr off his 633 and 2nd at Stirling flea market. Then a mint lense off ebay and a few months later, watched as if in slow motion, the lense slip out of my fingers, across the washing machine and into the cement sink, to a million pieces. aughhh Got another at Odessa flea market for $20.

If you have access to one of those US parts catalogues it might tell you if the lights are same for 619. I have 1935 and 38 from Leaside which exclude the 612 and 619 since not made here. The 614 only pre Dominion can have three doors for Glolite, rounded edges without the V / spear ornament, ones with V / spear ornament, both with the hanging tab to take bolt to bucket, or one that has a peak door but band type door with nut / bolt. The door looks nothing like the rounded edged ones. Like I mentioned previously, you can't interchange parts other than lense for this one. Can't say I have ever seen this peaked door light.

Butters boys sell the V / spear ornament. I'm not sure it applies to the 619 nor our Dominion cars. Some of the lads drill a hole in their doors and add the ornaments. It might be a 1930 614 only thing, where V / spear's were everywhere. If you look at the 407 you posted for sale in Ont it has no ornaments. Many years ago, centennial year 1967 perhaps, we had a gathering in Ottawa, of coast to coast run of cars, and one lad had a 407 and saw my 1930 614 Special with them. I said I had an extra pair at home off a 614 and gave them to him. I assume he drilled his doors and added those.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

hi rick...i will be out in garage wednesday to look for the rims
...gary

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH, 1925 STAR ROADSTER

The Durant Motors Automobile Club