Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb set screw broken

While "Fine tuning" the carburetor idle the pot metal around the set screw broken off. Does anyone have either a replacement part or know of someone who can repair it?

Rick

Carburetor is a Tillitson JR5 on a 22A engine.

Re: Carb set screw broken

HELLO I BELIEVE THERES 1 ON EBAY RIGHT NOW,IT MAY BE BETTER OR WORSE,I BELIEVE EVERYONE IS REPLACING THERES WITH A ZENITH,

Where Are You From? SO CALIF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DEVAUX COUPE

Hi Dave,
I bought the carburetor on EBay and it was an exact match. But unfortunately it didn’t come with the piece that holds the idle screw.

Rick

Rick:
Several years ago I had Harvey Frid cast me up a new one. Perhaps Buttars still have a copy and could make you one. No one else could tell it from the original. I will email Mike and see if he still has a pattern, if not you would have to send him your original. Keep me posted.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Rick you know the JR5 is replacement carb used on some Chev's as well. 619 was J5A if you have a 619. Otherwise I think it should be Stromburg U2 or Tillotson W8A. My 38 parts catalogue also makes mention for Dominion Motors cars using J4A (mine)J6A and J7A.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hi Norm,
Yes, my car is a 619. I didn't know the JR5 was a carb used on some Chevy's too, that's good information. Maybe it will make it somewhat easier to source parts.

Mike Butters is looking thru his molds; he may be able to make a reproduction unit for the idle set screw. Keep in mind that I don't the need the entire carb, just the idle screw housing that is a fairly small part.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick .. don't count on it.
Imagine its hard enough finding the orig J5A over using the jobber. Have no way of knowing if its the same one but there's been a JR5A on Ebay for two years off and on. Maybe you finally bought it.

Rick,

I've had a chance to make a few of the arms. Here's how they came out. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me at nbutters@eagle.ca

Thanks,
Mike

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Ontario Canada

Rick-
I have a carburator here that I took off a 30 model 614
that I got in Mo. It is a carter BB-1 Seems like it worked but dont know how well--Apparently this motor was running when it was pulled so maybe there is another source for you. I will part with this one if anyone needs it, but dont know what shape its in .
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Ken .. idea is to use a carb that came with car if you can. The 619 was a Tillotson J5A. 614 was Stromberg U2 or Tillotson W8A. Yours should be U2. Mine and Gords, after Durant Motors, was J4A but W8A was generic to 22A motors 30 - 32 as shown in my catalogues 1935 and 38.

Rick has a replacement carb JRA5 .. hense the R.

Lot of the boys are using new Zenith ones, you can buy directly from the Co, or Frank has them.

Carter carb was off something else, probably, and adapted to the motor. Nothing new there. Interesting I suppose is my 1928 Dykes has deleted Carter carbs and explaining them. Its in the index but when you get to the page there's a notation at bottom, the Carter Carb has been deleted. Have no idea why ? Talks and shows a number of different makes and how they work.

Thanks for the offer Ken, but I'll told Mike Butters to send me one of his new ones.

The new control arm arrive Saturday.
It looks good. Now it's time to remove and clean the carburetor and install the new part.

Thanks to Mike Butters

Rick

rick, did those carb pieces i sent ever arrive??

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH, 1925 STAR ROADSTER

Hi Gary,

Yes I did get them, thank you. I thought I had sent you an email, but after checking my sent box I see I didn't. Sorry about that. I guess I thought about long enough to think I actually did do it.

While they are not a match, the set screws will work fine in any carburetor including mine.

I plan to remove my carburetor this weekend and give it a good cleaning, then install the Butters part. Since I now have a spare carb I bought on eBay, I'll have parts if I need them. The engine runs good so it may not need anything.

The transmission is another story, 1st and 2nd would wake the dead if it were not for the noise the throw-out bearing makes.

All ways something new to do, but I love it.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of 'em

Let me know if you find an easy solution to 1st and 2nd gear noise. I put another trans in my 619 and it sounds just like the orig.

Wayne

Where Are You From? IA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '31 629

This might sound dumb. Are you sure 619 trannys are same as other trannys. I recall Gord telling me he couldn't use parts from his father in laws 32 618 on his 32 Fronty. Sure enough my 38 parts catalogue, which does not have 619 as US only, shows ......

E, 407, 611, 614, 618 Trans using straight cut non mesh gears type (then the parts listed and price)

Next section

E, 618, 670, 685 trans using helical cut gears, constant mesh (again prices for parts) but half the parts have stars and notation at bottom says, Two ratio's used and when ordering necessary to specify which type.

Since 619 was sort of the Fronty here, I wonder if that tranny might be different.

C400 and C600 have their own. No mention of 633 or 70, 75, 617 tranny. Yet 4 speed universal joints has 70, 75 ,417, 615, 616 and 617.

I can't find any parts mentioned on the free wheeling, used Fronty and 614. That came to mind again as I looked through old editions of AACO every two months Senior Cylinders and saw the part copy of a sales brochure for 614 with Selective Free Wheeling under the 6-14. Can't read the even smaller print under that. Think it says, Optional at slight addition cost.

Wayne, In Jan or Feb I will address the transmission. But I must admit, it is fun making the neighborhood dogs bark just by driving bye.

Norm, I have located a 619 trans out of a car is rough shape, but won’t receive it until January.

Now if it should happen that parts between a 614 trans and a 619 trans won't interchange, then I'll look into installing a 614 trans, if I find a good one that is. But these transmissions are fairly simple and a there are a couple of good shops in my area that work on cars on this era.

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of 'em

Rick .... just tossed that info out as something to look into. I recalled Gords mail on that problem. I get the impression 618 is another odd ball. Can be 18 or 19 inch wheels and parts catalogue as you can see has parts different as well. Can have two different rad and rad shells. Bevel ring gear 44 or 47 teeth. Ah all D / F cars 30 - 33 share same clutch plate and throw out bearing inc 633. C400/ C600 different. Perhaps Gord's father in law's 618 was the other 618 tranny to the Fronty and why it couldn't interchange. Again does free wheeling have anything to do with it also ? Would have been nice if they standardized parts more lol

You say out of a 619 ? Rear left bumperette ?? Not sure if it could be made into our style of open end for 32 614 / 618.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club