Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wood spoke wheel noise

As I drive my car around more, I've got a couple of drivetrain noises. I had my wife drive the car slowly while I walked along side and one of the noises is at the rt front wheel. Sounds like the wood spokes are loose against the rim? Noise got more prominent when steering wheel turned rt or lt. I pulled the wheel and rechecked bearings, break shoes, kingpin play etc. My 83yr old dad said wood wheels sometimes needed to be sprayed with water to help expand the spokes? Is this normal or??

Where Are You From? texas

Do You own a car built by Durant? '28 d65 coupe

Re: Wood spoke wheel noise

If it is your wood spokes, I've heard several pro's and cons about the water thing. On another forum for old cars I've heard that old timers used to run their cars through a stream to let the wheels get wet so they would swell a bit. I've also heard that this is not advisable. Don't know what the correct answer is. I do know that there is several products on the market that will help swell the wood on chairs etc which probably would work. I'm sure you would put it on the end of the spoke not on the outside so you would have to take off your tire and wheel to get to them. It does make sense that a wood wheel would become loose after a while since the wood will lose it's moister after awhile. Maybe someone else will chime in to make a recomendation.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi Paul,

I reconditioned the wood wheels on my 1918 Overland with a product called "Kwik Poly" http://kwikpolyllc.com/ .... Kwik poly is a two part resin that is mixed one to one, It is as thin as water so it will penitrate into cracks, joints, voids, and the wood fiber itself, It is actually tougher then the wood fiber itself...Anyway, in my case I removed the wheel hubs, sanded the spokes and wood fellows and applied the quick poly with a brush (much the same as applying varnish)However this product will set very fast so it is helpful to refrigerate the product just before using...When I removed my hubs they removed loosly but when I reinstalled them they were very tight...There is much info on the quick poly site or give him a call and rap with him about your problem.
Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / 29 M40 Coupe

This is the 18 overland that I referbished the wheels, Actually I refurbished the whole car.

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / 29 M40 Coupe

A few years ago I noticed I had a loose spoke on one of the front wheels. Upon removing all the wheels, I found that the nuts in all the drums that hold the outer hub tight against the drum with the spokes being held in between, were quite loose. I just tightened them up and all has been fine since. Fritz

Where Are You From? Cleveland Ohio area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1828 Durant M-2

NOW MY RESTORER FRIEND IN JERSEY TELLS ME THAT THE INSIDE OF THOSE DRUM BOLTS THAT HOLD THE WOOD SPOKES TIGHT WERE "PEENED" TO KEEP THEM FROM HAVING THEIR NUTS LOOSENING (DONE AT THE FACTORY)....IF REMOVED, YOU HAVE TO "SAND OR GRIND AWAY THE PEENING...AND REINSTALLING THEM MIGHT REQUIRE THINNING THE NUTS A HAIR TO ALLOW ROOM FOR RE-PEENING THEM.......

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DURANT 6-14 COACH, 1925 STAR ROADSTER

Gary, I don't remember my bolts being peened, but if so, and if you don't have to remove the bolts, why can,t you just tighten the nuts a bit more, and re-peen the ends to meet the nuts? Fritz

Where Are You From? Cleveland Ohio area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1828 Durant M-2

Hi Paul

The rims that the wood ties into is called a felloe.
The felloes have 1/2 or so inch holes in them which same sized dowels existing on end of each wooden spoke fits into.
The dowels (and holes) get wore....
When taking apart my wheels some of these dowels had had a copper sleeve put on them so to eliminate slap.
Also found c-shaped shims here and there and everywhere on inside and outside of spokes at inner hub in order to "Unwobble" the wheels.

The "Cadillac" solution :

World of Wood, John Kubarta, Regina Canada, $ 960 Cdn for 4 wheels with new hickory installed spokes with less then 1/8 inch wow. or wobble in wheels... he cuts to hubs.. no more shims.. 306-586-8658

I brought my wheels to his shop and as we had coffee, he took one wheel apart and talked as he worked.. goddam it was interesting.. I was watching a master !!!

He is an "old school" western Canadian and as such a good man.

regards
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

The Durant Motors Automobile Club