Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sadness at the passing of a good friend and member.

The following is the text of an email that was just received from Dick Krause:

Dear Friends of Bob

I am writing this note to you all with tears in my eyes. I have been bless to be Bob's son for 60 years, and have lost not only a father but a dear dear friend. We shared every Sat. together, usually struggling through the UCLA football and basketball games. Dad was 89 when he went peacefully in his sleep at home to be with our Lord. I was blessed to be with him the last couple of days, and he did not suffer. Dad's faith was very strong, and though not wanting to leave this earth one day before he had to, he knew where he was going, and looked forward to joining Hazel, Martha and John.

Please forgive me if this note comes to you by mistake, as I am sending it to all those on his email address book.

The details of the arrangements are below and a brief story about my father.

Robert Christison Krause April 16, 1921 to Sept 13, 2010

Bob was born on April 16, 1921 in Dell Rapids, South Dakota. He married his college sweetheart, Hazel Hassenpflug, in the fall of 1942, and they set up home in Long Beach. They were married over 43 years until her death. Bob began his long career at Douglas Aircraft working as an industrial engineer for over 35 years until health problems forced retirement. At this point, he began to restore a 1925 Star service truck which took him 7 years. While taking sheet metal and welding classes at Long Beach City college, he handmade much of his Star automobile. This was the first of several cars he restored and in the process he became the West Coast technical advisor and board member of the Durant Automobile club. A few years after the passing of Hazel, he was blessed with the second love of his life, Martha Springer. They were married for over 17 years until an untimely fall took her life.

Bob was also very proud of his country having served time in the Army during World War II, where he was part of Patton’s 104th Infantry Regiment, 26th Division. While landing in France, he spent most of his time in Germany. As a postwar occupation, he became the company’s photographer, using his photography skills for those surviving, enabling them to send home photos to their love ones.

Bob has been an active member of Saint Luke’s Episcopal church for over 65 years, where being a part of the choir was his passion. His love and appreciation for good music, his church and faith have been the central core that make’s Bob who he was. He passed peacefully in his sleep Sept. 13, 2010.

Bob is survived by his son, Dick, three grandchildren Heidi, Cherese and Bryan, and one great grandchild, Lincoln, along with two daughters-in-law, Jeanine and Diana.
In lieu of flowers, please consider a memorial gift to the music fund at St. Lukes Episcopal Church.

The memorial service is on Monday, Sept. 20th at 5:00 p.m. at 525 E. 7th St. in Long Beach.
A viewing will be held at McKenzie Mortuary on Sunday from 4:00 - 7:00 p.m., located at 3843 E. Anaheim St. in Long Beach.

A son who was blessed to have had such a wonderful dad, and friend.

Dick Krause

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

Re: Sadness at the passing of a good friend and member.

My condolences to Dick Krause and his family.

I am extremely sorry to learn of Bob's passing. I enjoyed every minute that I spoke with him and felt fortunate to have known him.

He will be missed.

Rick Botti

Sad sad sad. One of my oldest best Durant buddies ever.
We were very close and Bob attended almost all our Natl meets we put on out here on the West Coast.
I had the pleasure of working on his 27 Star Hack down here in San Diego. He had a heart of gold and really knew the Star line of cars.
Will miss Bob a ton. He would call me every few days to see how I was doing. Very caring wonderful fellow. Big loss to our club.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

A true gentleman and great Durant family member. He will be missed!

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi All....

Very sad news.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at the 2004 National meet in New Jersey. He was an instantly likable fellow. Very knowledgeable and outgoing.

I met Dick when he and his Dad came to the Auburn meet in 2007.

Through the years Bob went out of his way to help the DMAC and its members. Bob worked behind the scenes making sure the Partner got out and mailed in the early days. He faithfully served on the board of directors. If Bob said he was going to do something you could count on it getting done. He was a great source for information and help on the Star cars and never quit working on these cars. He recently began a Flint restoration and was becoming very knowledgeable on these cars also.

I will miss talking with Bob and getting his many and varied emails.

We truly lost a great man and good friend.......

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 17 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Here are two pictures of Bob, he really loved that 1925 Star Service Truck. My favorite picture is that of him working on his new Flint. It was used for the cover of the Durant Partner.
Thanks to Carol for sending me the pictures.

Rick

For some unknown reason this picture won't appear when using IE8, but will using Firefox. So I adjusted the picture some and uploaded it a second time.

Rick

I feel fortunate to have worked with Bob while constructing the magazine... he stepped right in there when I started years ago..
He was certainly one great Durantoinian, way before the new term was coined.
He was a constant contributor to our hobby and a
pleasure to talk to and work with.
Although we only met once at the 2007 National Meet in Indiana, Bob was always on the phone willing to answer questions and contribute, he was a great communicator.
The image of him working on one of his new Flints was not taken long ago. It appeared on our Spring 2010 cover. I will certainly miss him.
~c

Where Are You From? Southern VT

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

How truly sad to hear of the passing of my great friend and outstanding Club member Bob Krause.
Bob was active from the very start of the DMAC. He received the very first Presidents Award in 2000.
Volunteered to do many things for the DMAC in the very early days;
Bob always sent emails on almost a daily basis after he got his computer. He truly loved animals as could be seen from his emails.
After five years of letters and phone calls, I got to meet Bob personally at our Annual Meet in New Jersey in 2004.
We will miss you my friend..............

Yates and Doris

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club